Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Wow! £950. Im speechless
What is worse is that someone will pay that for them
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I may have read your post wrong, but the way it sounds is that you think less of mongrels than you think of crossbreeds… I don’t see the need to differentiate them like that.
You have read it wrong - I have said frequently that we have had pedigrees, crossbreeds and mongrels and loved each and everyone of them equally.. what I don't like is people ignorantly calling crossbreeds mongrels when they are not!
The comment I made about the f1 first crosses was not saying that they are so good is my opinion as I have f1s, but the f+s are all wonderful; more likely to be hyperallergenic than the f1s tbh.
As for the prices of crossbreeds I can only comment on Labradoodles - it is no-one else's business or right to say what we shouldn't pay for our dogs, nor criticise our choice of dog/breeder.. I have never said people shouldn't have a certain breed or shouldn't pay x amount for it. There are MANY pedigrees advertised and sold for much more than most crossbreeds including doodles. The exception to that IMO is the ASD Australian Service Dog, the original Labradoodle which sell for over £1500+ - that is ridiculous and at the end of the day, the breeders say "Well, these dogs have been researched and have over 30 over breeds in them" - so THEY are not crossbreeds they are mongrels!!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
You have read it wrong - I have said frequently that we have had pedigrees, crossbreeds and mongrels and loved each and everyone of them equally.. what I don't like is people ignorantly calling crossbreeds mongrels when they are not!
well, my dog is a crossbreed... with unknown parentage. i will not call him a 'mongrel' as i hate the word, due to all the negative connonations attached to it. people are already so snobbish to a crossbreed, so a 'mongrel' as you call them, will have even more of that. my dog is just as good (if not better, which i biasedly think he is) than any purebred, or purposely bred dog. the way you dislike, get offended or whatever from people calling your dogs 'mongrels' and not crossbreeds, says to me that you think a mongrel is less a dog than a crossbreed. if you didnt, then IMO it wouldnt bother you, in the way that it does.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 12:14 PM
well, my dog is a crossbreed... with unknown parentage. i will not call him a 'mongrel' as i hate the word, due to all the negative connonations attached to it. people are already so snobbish to a crossbreed, so a 'mongrel' as you call them, will have even more of that. my dog is just as good (if not better, which i biasedly think he is) than any purebred, or purposely bred dog. the way you dislike, get offended or whatever from people calling your dogs 'mongrels' and not crossbreeds, says to me that you think a mongrel is less a dog than a crossbreed. if you didnt, then IMO it wouldnt bother you, in the way that it does.
Look at it this way, your dog is totally unique, where will you find another exactly like him - he is, the "true" designer dog

Whenever I used to show my dogs I always "came home with the best dog in the show" - that is how we should all think of our dogs no matter the parentage - our own wonderful unique companions
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2010, 12:16 PM
How do you know he is a crossbreed if you don't know the parentage? No, I DO NOT think a mongrel is any lesser a dog than a pedigree or crossbreed as I repeatedly keep saying I don't like the fact that people show ignorance by saying that crossbreeds are mongrels it is not because I am some sort of snob about our dogs, I just dislike ignorance.
All dogs are equal and as long as they have a loving home and plenty of love and all their needs met that is the bottom line in MY humble opinion. Now as I am getting fed up repeating myself these are my last words:I DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH WHAT DOGS PEOPLE CHOOSE, WHERE THEY COME FROM OR HOW MUCH THEY PAY FOR THEM AND IT IS NO-ONE'S BUSINESS HOW MUCH ETC WE PAID FOR OURS. ALL DOGS ARE WONDERFUL REGARDLESS OF HERITAGE AND I AM SICK OF PEOPLE BITCHING ABOUT CROSSBREEDS, MONGRELS AND PEDIGREES. There is no Law that stops people breeding what they want and if the demand is there that is up to them, even if I do personally disagree with these silly names, I also believe in this economic climate breeders should not breed when there are plenty of dogs in rescues and shelters without adding to them.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Look at it this way, your dog is totally unique, where will you find another exactly like him - he is, the "true" designer dog

Whenever I used to show my dogs I always "came home with the best dog in the show" - that is how we should all think of our dogs no matter the parentage - our own wonderful unique companions
Well said
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
What is worse is that someone will pay that for them
I was speaking to a friend who shows/breeds Pugs today and she saw an advert for Pug x Bulldogs for £1,000

Crazy world - 10 weeks, 10 months, 10 years downline when the owner who spent so much wants rid, that initial price wont matter, out the pup/dog goes - a big price does not guarantee a home for life
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 02:03 PM

I totally agree, and I wouldn’t swap my boy for any dog. it just bugs the life out of me, when certain owners think their dogs are better, coz they are pedigrees, or because some idiot decided to breed two dogs together for no real reason and charge a ridiculous amount for them, and make a new 'breed'.

Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
How do you know he is a crossbreed if you don't know the parentage? No, I DO NOT think a mongrel is any lesser a dog than a pedigree or crossbreed as I repeatedly keep saying I don't like the fact that people show ignorance by saying that crossbreeds are mongrels it is not because I am some sort of snob about our dogs, I just dislike ignorance.
All dogs are equal and as long as they have a loving home and plenty of love and all their needs met that is the bottom line in MY humble opinion. Now as I am getting fed up repeating myself these are my last words:I DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH WHAT DOGS PEOPLE CHOOSE, WHERE THEY COME FROM OR HOW MUCH THEY PAY FOR THEM AND IT IS NO-ONE'S BUSINESS HOW MUCH ETC WE PAID FOR OURS. ALL DOGS ARE WONDERFUL REGARDLESS OF HERITAGE AND I AM SICK OF PEOPLE BITCHING ABOUT CROSSBREEDS, MONGRELS AND PEDIGREES. There is no Law that stops people breeding what they want and if the demand is there that is up to them, even if I do personally disagree with these silly names, I also believe in this economic climate breeders should not breed when there are plenty of dogs in rescues and shelters without adding to them.
I don’t know if he is a crossbreed or not, but why should he be thought less of (and im not meaning by you, but to people in general coz it does happen) just coz he MAY be made up from more than two breeds?? I don’t know, so I either say he is a crossbreed or a mixed breed. But, like I said, mongrel has many negative connotations attached to it so I will not call him it. you talk about people showing ignorance by calling your dogs mongrels when they are crossbreeds… maybe it just coz some people do not care! A pedigree is a pedigree coz it is an ACTUAL breed, whereas a dog who has parents of different breeds (whether they are pedigree or crossbreed) isn’t an actual breed and so to many people a crossbreed and a mongrel are the same thing. I know technically they are different, but as far as I am concerned they are not.

If you disagree with the silly names people come up with for breeds, then why do you use them for your dogs by calling them a labradoodle and a goldendoodle?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 02:13 PM
I was speaking to a friend who shows/breeds Pugs today and she saw an advert for Pug x Bulldogs for £1,000
end of last year we took in (for foster) a hairless chinese cresteds cross chihuahua..They had paid £1500 for the dog and 6months later couldnt coped and dumped him in rescue!
I couldnt believe, how much had been paid for the dog..Hairless cresteds dont go for that much.
we found the breeder and let them know we had taken in a dog from there breeding and before helping the rescue find the little chap a new home did they want him back or to help us find him a home..no guessing what the answer was... ... she didnt health test the parents, sold the pup at 6weeks old and 6months later had another litter on and refused to have anything to do with a pup she bred..
when some one pays that much money for a dog i would have thought the breeder would give help and advice through out the dogs life, taking back if needed and have tested the parents for diseases..chinese cresteds on there own need 3 eye tests and could do with one other thats just coming about.
Makes me sick to be honest.

I have seen plently of crested crosses sold for silly prices with silly names..people seem to be crossing dogs with the hairless crested to get hairless cross breeds!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2010, 04:07 PM

. But, like I said, mongrel has many negative connotations attached to it so I will not call him it. you talk about people showing ignorance by calling your dogs mongrels when they are crossbreeds… ?
Do they, what negative connotations are attached to a mongrel
Closed Thread
Page 16 of 50 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »