View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 08:03 PM

My little cat's not right... chemical smell?

Well, I mentioned to mum today that Smudge doesn't seem herself.

Her eyes are very dull - she seems to have lost her 'sparkle' although is still very affectionate.

She's never been a large cat but recently has lost a lot of weight and I can feel her pin bones and spine and she tips over when you stroke her, like she's weak.

She's about 12 now and hasn't been eating properly for about a week I think.

I did at first put it down to stress because we've been redecorating so she's been shut out of the bedrooms but after I told mum she's been for a cuddle with Smudge and said her breath smells odd.

She said it doesn't smell of bad teeth, but there's a sort of chemical smell on her breath - she has access to outdoors, could she have eaten/drunk something with something in it do you think?

I was going to hold off going to the vets until I'd tried worming her and tried feeding her on something like exigent to get her eating. But since the revelation of the 'chemical smell', I'm going to phone the vet in the morning and make her an appointment.

A bit worried about my little girlie, she's been a good friend to me for a good decade or more and is always there for a cuddle and a kiss.

Smudge:

Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Sorry to hear about Smudge, i have no idea what it could be, i think a trip to the vet is the best idea.

Hope its nothing serious. Let us know how you get on.

Hugs to you and smudge xxx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks Jules,

I'll let you know how we get on
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:04 PM
poor smudge never had a cat , i think the same take her to the vets ,hopefully its nowt to worry about ,she is very pretty xx best to be on the safe side
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:04 PM
A "metalic" smell sometimes denotes a kidney problem I think. Hope she is ok.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't start speculating about what could be wrong. The vet will sort it out. Let us know how you get on, She looks fine in the phots. what al georgous girlie.
Elaine x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:23 PM
hope all is well with her, x good luck at the vets
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys,

That's worrying to hear Dawn... will just have to try not to worry about it too much til I get her seen by a vet.

It is a sort of metallic smell - really fresh and cold (if that makes sense).

elaine - the photos were taken a few years back now She's not changed much though as she's got older!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
I wouldn't start speculating about what could be wrong. The vet will sort it out. Let us know how you get on, She looks fine in the phots. what al georgous girlie.
Elaine x
Im not speculating, my Cat had it, and thats what the Vets said to me. I said "sometimes" as I have heard it can mean a variety of things and also nothing at all.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi guys,

Smudge's appetite is back 110%! Her eyes are bright again and the metallic smell (that was definitely there but only a little bit yesterday) has completely gone.

She's still not playing so not herself (usually if you torment her with a toy, she'll at least grab at it) but she's jumped to the top of the cat activity centre for some food despite there being bowls at the bottom too!

So hopefully she's back to her normal self since we made such a fuss over her yesterday and she'll start putting some weight on again...

Fingers crossed!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >