View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Flashs_mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2008, 09:05 AM

Dogs been banned from the kennels so need to stay home ... any ideas?

Hi there

I need some ideas!

One of my dogs has been banned from the kennels due to "agression" so we have taken both out as its not far for the to be parted for the day.

Anyway ... both me and my bf work and are usually leave at 7 am and dont get home til 6 pm. Which is a very long time. We walk the dogs at 5am for an hour ... but we are getting shattered as we are living on a few hours sleep.

We have 2 dogs Kia (Huskyx) and Flash(collie). Flash is fine when he is left but Kia is a nightmare as she distroys the house well the down stairs as we live in a 3 story house and the dogs sleep and eat down stairs)

But if we put her in the back garden she whines and barks all day long as hurts herself by jumping up at the back door!

Has anyone got any ideas of what I can do to get her to chill out in the back garden on her own (when we are not home)?

Thanks xoxox
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Are these kennels used for holidays or like doggy day care?

Huskies are known to be destructive (I'm not saying all are) but I know when we were looking at different breeds one of the first husky sites warns you of this. Even my breed NI can be as don't like being left alone, hence why I have a JRT too.
That is a very long time to leave the dogs with no human contact so no wonder she is destructive.
Have they always been left like that or is this a sudden change for them?
Could you not get home at all during the day?
If not what about dog walkers/sitters?
You can't really leave her oustide during the day unless in a proper run with shelter etc. Also are they both being left out as that would be another reason why she was trying to get in and won't settle?
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you have to think about the neighbours too.
I can work very long hours too, start at 7am and can go on to 10pm however I do get breaks and can get home which means they get a trot round the block early morning and their long walk when I get home at teatime and another at bedtime. I can always go home to see them which means they are very very rarely alone more than say 5 hours.
Yes, those days can be knackering but the dogs come first before anything else..... and I'll eat sandwiches if I am lucky!
You come home at 6pm so they should be getting a good long walk before you go to bed at some point. It doesn't leave a huge amount of time for dinner and tv etc, but they come first if you don't want this behaviour to continue.

So I do think it is too much to leave a huskyx with destructive behaviour/seperation anxiety alone for that length of time without some sort of stimulation/exercise or the behaviour will get worse.

Was the aggression towards dogs or people btw?

Sorry to ramble but I do think dog sitters/walkers are the only option if you can't get home at all.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Hi Flashesmum is that dog/dog or dog human aggression?
For the former a dog proof room and a dog walker may be the answer, for the latter an outdoor kennel and run may be a solution to consider for a difficult problem.

There is no ideal solution, the dogs are as you admit left a very long time and if you add in the time you spend sleeping, the dogs are getting very little activity or mental stimulation for much of the time .
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Kennels wouldnt have a problem with dog to dog aggression, just human aggression.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I can see from your other post that it is the Collie Flash who has recently turned dog aggressive and that the kennels were more like a pound where up to 10 dogs run together.

So if you think about it your huskyx has come from there, with lots of dogs and running around and stimulation to staying at home all day on their own.... hence the destructiveness.

You also say they are both rescue dogs.
Is the rescue centre aware they are be being left? I know you had care for them during the day but I would contact the rescue centre for advice too now that has changed.

I would also get the help of a behaviourist as suggested in your other thread for the collies recent aggresion and your huskyx problems.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Kennels wouldnt have a problem with dog to dog aggression, just human aggression.
Doesn't sound like your average kennels to me though Dawn if all the dogs (up to 10) are running loose together. Then I presume it could be.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 09:50 AM
dont mean to sound harsh - but if dogs are housed together ad they show signs off agression - then you need to find a new kennel!!!!

surely there are more kennels??!
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Reading your other thread I think you are a very tricky spot indeed. Most behavioural issues take a while to iron out, and require a good deal of input and management from the off. Some conditions, depending what they stem from need lifelong management. ...something that you will will find very hard to commit to in your situation in the services.

11 hours alone is to me (sorry everyone if you disagree) an unacceptable time to leave a pet dog, especially a huskyx. They thrive in company or working, not confined, with minimal exercise. Your breed types require a great deal of mental and physical exertion to keep them happy.

This may sound harsh, but unless you can spend more time with your animals is it really fair on them? If you are tired the time you spend with your dogs may be resented rather than the pleasure it could/should be for both parties.

I really hope for their sake and yours you can get some resolution. Others have suggested a dog-walker which would certainly help (if aggression isn't too bad, or dog walked separately), as would supplying plenty of treats/kibble frozen into a Kong or using a buster ball or similar to supply much of their food once you have left for the day....something to occupy them once you have left, which is often the most stressful time.

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Mary
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Doesn't sound like your average kennels to me though Dawn if all the dogs (up to 10) are running loose together. Then I presume it could be.
youre right!! No way is that normal.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I know it's not what you want to hear but have you considered finding new homes for the dogs because it is a really long time to be left alone.

Can't the neighbours pop in for you to let them out if they are home?

Heidi
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >