Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Tail Docking - Reasons Behind Varying Breeds

Ok, i'm not starting some mass debate here about the rights and wrongs of tail docking, i'm simply curious to find out why certain breeds ever had them docked in the first place.

I understand the reasoning behind terriers and gundogs having them docked (although why the likes of English Pointers, setters etc didnt I dont know) as they work in the undergrowth but what about OES's, Dobermans, Aussie Shepherds, Boxers and the like?

I cant see why an Aussie would need to have a tail removed if it's simply herding sheep. BC's have never had this done to them.
Was it merely to create a look or was it for practical reasons? If anybody could enlighten me if they've got any answers for any breed then i'd be grateful.

Thank you in advance :smt001
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I thought it was because they all worked in some way and the hazzards of injury to the dog.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
As some one who has tried to research docking and it's origins I have not found any historical evidence to suggest dogs were docked to prevent injury. However, there was a tax levied against undocked dogs as they were seen to be a luxury and therefore those who docked their dogs that was seen as a working dog and therefore not taxed.
Becky
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Never though of a dog as a taxable item on the accounts.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Well it was the old rich landlords, need some money so how do we tax the peasants!
Becky
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:26 PM
What got me thinking was a puppy boxer I saw the other day. Now, Flynn was born 2 days before the law came into effect so I assume they docked him just in time. This boxer pup was perhaps half Flynn's age and I immediately thought it must have been done illegally. I know they can be docked if you can prove the dog is going to be a worker and then I suddenly thought "well, what work do boxers do to require the tail to be removed?". Then my train of thought went from there to other breeds so I thought i'd ask you lot to see if anybody knew!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Only certain breeds can be docked and it is confined to the terrier and gundog group so any Boxer who is docked has been done illegally.
Becky
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-02-2008, 06:30 PM
You can still get boxers and other breeds docked, if it is by a vet.
Although you have to travel for it, i can't remember what the group of vets is called.
Boxers used to be worked, not that i would imagine many working like they did now.
They used to be bear & boar hunters when the breed was created.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
As some one who has tried to research docking and it's origins I have not found any historical evidence to suggest dogs were docked to prevent injury. However, there was a tax levied against undocked dogs as they were seen to be a luxury and therefore those who docked their dogs that was seen as a working dog and therefore not taxed.
Becky
Blimey, I didn't know that although I don't find it surprising as Taxes are a favourite !

And I agree, Boxers are not included in the new law for allowing the docking of dogs, so it would have been illegally done.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
What got me thinking was a puppy boxer I saw the other day. Now, Flynn was born 2 days before the law came into effect so I assume they docked him just in time. This boxer pup was perhaps half Flynn's age and I immediately thought it must have been done illegally.
Could be a bobtail boxer. Quite a few breeders have gone down this route.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >