Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2008, 02:55 PM

'Is it because I is a staffy?'

My OH just had a word with a fella who lives down our street. He has a cocker spaniel who has recently started getting really grumpy with other dogs. We were on our way home from our walk and bumped into him, so were all standing chatting on the street corner.

His dog growled at Bryan first, then went up to A (my foster staffy) and growled at her. A retaliated by growling back and rearing up (all dogs were on leads), but the fella blamed our dog!

He says 'That was very naughty!', but to our dog, not his! So my OH pointed out that it was his dog that growled at ours. So then he just said 'Oh, she's started doing that recently'. His dog wasn't naughty for doing it, but our dog was naughty for retaliating

Men!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2008, 03:16 PM
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
I quite agree..............
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Typical
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2008, 04:09 PM
they were both naughty,,,,lol

I never understand anyone who points the finger at others dogs,,,, or makes excuses for there own dog,,,

both dogs were naughty,,,end of,

he should have taken the time to correct his own dog while you had a word with A about her grumpy moment.

Most people spend the vital seconds for correcting there dog thowing the blame at other dogs/ other people/ or the classic one HE'S NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE!! argghh,,, my answer to that one is,,, well he feckin has now and your chance to deal with it so it may not happen again has been and gone

. can you tell this is one of my pet hates,, these are the same people who can see no wrong in there kids.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
can you tell this is one of my pet hates,, these are the same people who can see no wrong in there kids.
LOL, totally agree Kids and dogs you should need a licence for both!!!
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Staffies need to be extra good, don't they We met quite a few at the beach last night, not a bad un amongst them!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Ollie has taken a dislike to Staffies, EBT's and Rotties, the Rottie I know the problem that is because he got humped by one and didn't think that was much fun. So I keep him on a short lead and just warn people he will get grumpy if they come bounding over to him and he gets told no if he growls not the other dog.
The thing that does make me cross is when another dog comes bounding over when it is quite obvious I have Ollie on a long line and reel him in and keep him close to my leg and they allow their dog to come bounding over and then can't catch them, which is what happened to us Monday evening when out with a Staffie in that instance Ollie does not get told off for growling then.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
he should have taken the time to correct his own dog while you had a word with A about her grumpy moment.
Yip, A was told off and didn't try it again. She's pretty good like that. On the rare occasions she's had a growl like that we say 'Leave it!' and she stops.

The cocker didn't get told off whatsoever! Not even a correction with the lead. Nothing.

Think I'll avoid them for a bit. I think there may be a medical condition underlying it because she's usually fine with Bryan. They usually play together, but this is the second time she's growled at him.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
The thing that does make me cross is when another dog comes bounding over when it is quite obvious I have Ollie on a long line and reel him in and keep him close to my leg and they allow their dog to come bounding over and then can't catch them, which is what happened to us Monday evening when out with a Staffie in that instance Ollie does not get told off for growling then.
I tell my dogs off for growling at any dog in any situation. Even if they didn't start it. I just on't want them doing it (and they both have aggression/defensive issues that I'm working on).

I agree with you Lynn, it's happened to me twice the other night when I kept both mine on the lead in the park as there were quite a few kids about and whatnot. Awoman let her westie come flying at us, barking, and just stood and watched!

Mine didn't react that much, both were on lead, A growled a bit and got corrected. When A growled the woman came trotting along and put a lead on her dog. No apology, dog didn't get told off.

Now, if my staffy had gone flying at her westie, barking, what would she have done? Cr*pped herself probably and reported me to the council for having a dangerous dog. But because her's is a cute little Westie then it's ok!!!!!!!

Arrrrrgggghhhhhh! I HATE PEOPLE

Apart from Dogsey people, I love you all xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >