Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Breed discrimination

Well I don't mind telling you I put this into practice this morning.

I will set the scene, we were in the park Figo, Rosie (JRT) Stella (standard poodle ) and Kaiser (gsd) all playing and having a great time, out of nowhere cam two massive cane corso one ran up to Kaiser (with Figo stuck in the middle) and squared up to him , hackles up and posturing, I can tell you my heart went into my mouth, little figo is standing there right in the way of the Corso's mouth oblivious to the stand off I called Figo and he came straight back.

It amounted to nothing and the dog ran back to his owner ( miles away) we walked on (after putting our dogs on the lead) then it came right back to us again, and started to stand over Figo, the owner called it back again and it turned and ran straight through one of the ladies with me (in her 70`s) and knocked her dog and lead out of her hand.

Now these two dogs most probable are fine, but they are huge powerful dogs , and if something kicked off could do an awful lot of damage, the owner took no interest at all, just kept walking and called her dog after it ran over to us.

I may well see her again, and the dogs may well be OK, but I WILL be watching out for them and until I KNOW they are fine I will continue to be on my guard.

Some may say you are judging a breed unfairly, they may be right , but I am not taking any chances, if that dog had followed through on his posturing Figo would not stand a chance.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Totally understand and agree with you Jackie it is very worrying when any dog particularly a large powerful breed is on its own owner a long way off and starts posturing you have to think about your dog. I am the same and I own a large
powerful breed who is a wuss.
I have avoided many large dogs till I know they are safe for Dillon to interact with. Neither do I allow him to approach other dogs till people know he is safe even on lead let alone off lead.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Quite frightening about the elderly lady Jackie. That's what happened to my dear friend in Cheshunt the UK.

Walking her Spaniel on lead on paths round land behind back of her garden (Lea Valley area) when big Staffy appeared out of nowhere (no owner in sight) and rushed at them. Didn't bite either of them but leapt at them. She fell to the ground, letting go her dog's lead in the process.

She suffered sprained wrist, bruised hips etc. (it was mainly the shock to her - after all you've absolutely no way of knowing WHAT the strange dog's intentions are as it hurtles towards you have you?)

But worst of all her dog (scared witless) took off down side alleys and pathways and didn't stop until it was out on the main busy A10 road where it was hit by more than one car. Fortunately lots of motorists stopped and helped the dog and took it to the vet. It had suffered broken bones and all sorts but did eventually recover.

Upshot was that she now gets her husband to walk the dog or come with her. Totally ruined what used to be one of the nicest bits of her day - walking their dear dog. And one of the factors in deciding to move to where they are now in Cheshunt was the open space behind their house to walk the dog in safety away from traffic.

She has since then always referred to the dog that did this as a 'pitbull' and I think even if it looked like a monkey she would still say it was a pitbull! She's convinced it is (not that she would know exactly what a pitbull looks like). Just that it was obviously roughly of the 'type', and she's obviously read about them.

So more prejudice created and all on account of selfish and ignorant dog owners who do not and will not control their dogs.

I am always saying that a dog (esp. obviously a BIG powerful and maybe scary looking dog) doesn't have to attack viciously causing actual bodily harm to people or other dogs to cause damage. Let's face it, if dogs like those did really mean business it could easily end up with the other dog or its owner dead or maimed for life. Just the fact that they are not under control is bad and scary enough.

Both times the small dogs I've owned have been 'attacked' by bigger dogs they could easily have been killed by them if the aggressor had a mind to do so. Two boxers going for a CKCS. Huge GSD going for a minpin pup. No contest really - even with me wading in like a totally lunatic to assist mine!

But the damage done, albeit minor wounds, scratching and grazing is real and lasting. And mainly to the confidence of the victim dog. Bella recovered well but still hates the dog in question. No so my little CKCS (although it was ever after only Boxers she was terrified of). Breaks your heart to see a formerly happy, sociable little dog turned into a fearful one on account of idiots who don't control their big dogs.

But, even if there was legislation to force ALL dog owners to keep ALL dogs on lead at ALL times - these incidents would still happen and it would only be the responsible good dog owners and their dogs who would suffer on account of it, never being able to let them have a free run. The bad dog owners take no notice of legislation, and have no consideration for other dogs or their owners or anything it would seem. So you'd still have the 'worst' dogs causing problems.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2014, 11:18 AM
And, reading Lynn's post - yes - it isn't just the SIZE of the dog that causes a problem. It is to do with breed and temperament. Her talking about Dillon reminded me instantly of the huge Husky in the boarding kennels who they housed in with all the little dogs as it was such a great big gentle WUSS! But have to say you could instantly see that it was just by looking at it - even tho it was taller than I am when standing up against the bars of the door wanting a fuss!

I think most experienced dog owners can spot a 'doubtful' dog (and a doubtful owner!) easily. And can read some of the signs well (whatever hapless owners might be saying about them). But you have to take into account also not just other dog owners but people who are just dead scared of ALL dogs. And they do exist. I meet them quite a lot - even scared of Bella. These people are going to be very vociferous regarding breed legislation. But then, looking at other dog related sites, so are a lot of other dog owners when it comes to the sort of dogs that either are 'on the list already' but they have a lot to say about other breeds that they think 'should be on the list' too.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2014, 11:32 AM
The breed is a Cane Corso (not Corsa)... in case you cared about the specifics. A bully breed, known for DA, standoffishness, and everything else bully breeds tend to come with.

With regret, I am the same way with "pit bulls". I personally love the APBT breeds traits and characteristics, what I don't like is how "pit bulls" are usually kept here and how much damage they can deal in an instant.

Nigredo is 71 lbs but is weak as a Chihuahua and completely non aggressive. He has no idea when a dog is being aggressive and doesn't pick up on the hint at all.

A "pit bull" would kill him almost instantly. He would not know how to fight back, would be too weak to do so anyway, and he is far too slow to escape the athletic pit bulls on foot.

Jade would immediately come to Nigredo's defense as soon as she sensed the danger, but at age 11, a mere 54 lbs, and quickly aging and weakening, she'd simply be attacked and killed instead

My previous Lab mix was attacked by them many times. He was severely injured twice by them as well. Thankfully he was strong, and was always able to hold his own in a nasty fight... otherwise he'd have been killed. He also developed a true hatred for male "pit bulls" because of this. Sad, sad stuff.

So now when I see a "pit bull"... off lead, leashed, muzzled, or otherwise, I pretty much run in the opposite direction. I don't want them banned, and I don't like having to feel this way about them... but they cause a lot of harm, so I'm perfectly fine with avoiding them.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
T[B]he breed is a Cane Corso (not Corsa)... .
Yes I know what it is...thanks for pointing out my typo .
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Yes I know what it is...thanks for pointing out my typo .
I wasn't trying to be mean, I saw you had spelled it the same way both times, so I simply thought you had typed the breed's name wrong. My apologies... why do I even try? *sigh*
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2014, 01:19 AM
I think dog owners are the problem rather than the breed of dogs. The owner of the cane corso is letting them down by not keeping them under control .
I was knocked over by a young too friendly Goldie and fractured my ankle and knee so its not just big powerful dogs that do damage.

Having tiny dogs i do try to avoid large dogs that I dont know.

I have a JRt x and two chi x 's and they've been rough up and attacked by different breeds . We have a lot of staffies here and generally their owners keep them under control . I think they make more effort because of the current attitude toward bully breeds.

My newest Chi is very reactive to dogs and will run towards dogs , stop at a distance and bark so I am vigilant and pop her on a lead if we see dogs coming.
Alison
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-01-2014, 01:36 AM
I would also have been apprehensive with such a powerful breed running up to you and your dogs. The fact that the Cane Corso also ran through an elderly woman is a red flag. But I must admit that I would be just as apprehensive with any breed that displayed such behaviours, whether it be a medium, large or extra large dog, especially off lead and with the owner so far away. I have come across some loose dogs while out hiking on public hiking trails and have yelled out for the owners to come get their dogs asap, one was a lab and the other looked like could be a lab cross. When they didn't respond, I yelled out even louder and more firmly to come and get their dogs. Tynan is very protective of his brother Timber and I know that they would be considered to be responsible even if another dog were to have been the instigator. The Cane Corso is not a bully breed either, they are of the Molosser category and have different functions than a bully and who cares about the spelling
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-01-2014, 02:16 AM
I don't think it is breed discrimination at all - I would be the same for *any* breed, and the bigger (or more capable) it was the more wary and on-guard I would be.

It's a shame that people let such breeds down tho - I'd have been inclined to say something