View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 10:11 PM

How to introduce a rescue dog into a new home?

I am just looking for some advice on the best way to bring/settle a rescue dog into the house when there is already a resident dog.

Things from picking up the rescue dog, having them together in the house, sleeping and feeding arrangements, toys, being left together while out (obviously not straight away) etc etc...

Only ever had one dog so never known how to bring in a second so that both are safe and happy.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Personally I always think it best for their first meeting to be on neutral ground, that way the resident dog won't feel the need to guard their home, see how that goes....

Our last foster could be left with our dog within a week, this one (Mad Molly) 6 weeks on and they still can't be left alone together (but we have a lot of experience with multiple dogs) If you use a good re-homing center they should be able to help with introductions to make sure all goes smoothly
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2014, 11:36 AM
With the dogs I have at the moment I can only bring in young puppies, out of respect for my oldest dog I will never bring in an adult or older male & because I already have 3 adult bitches I wouldn't want to upset their relationships either.

So I now only foster a puppy or quite young dog. I know my dogs very well & simply collect the new one & bring it home. If I have Roodee with me the new one would travel with him as he is really good with little ones & of course not big enough to cause any hurt by sitting on the puppy(oh yes mine do sit on the puppies )

If I had only one or two dogs, the situation would be different, I would do the initial meeting in a safe area with the new dog off lead & mine on a lead, allowing the new one the comfort of being able to chose to make the first approach initially, if there were no problems I would then walk with the new & current dog(s)together with a friend & if the new dog had no problems I would then move to a neutral indoor space & again new dog off lead & current dog on lead. If still no problems than I would allow current dog off lead as well. If there are no problems after this I would consider taking on the new dog
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks both!
I just wasn't sure how to go about it but that makes sense
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
I am just looking for some advice on the best way to bring/settle a rescue dog into the house when there is already a resident dog.

Things from picking up the rescue dog, having them together in the house, sleeping and feeding arrangements, toys, being left together while out (obviously not straight away) etc etc...

Only ever had one dog so never known how to bring in a second so that both are safe and happy.

I don't have anyone to help with my dogs meeting a new one on neutral ground so have to work it out another way. I bring the new dog into the house, my gang are shut in the back, and put the new dog in the living room at the front. There is several comfy beds, food and water with Rescue Remedy in. I let the dog settle for an hour or 2.

I then let my dogs sniff through the door, they introduce themselves to the new dog in safety, all dogs feel safe which is important.

Depending on how the dog is settling, I have her in a crate evenings, if she is fine with mine I leave a gap so she can talk to them, if she is stressed I cover the crate up at the front so she can't see my gang.

The following day I have dog gates so my dogs can't get to her until she is ready.

Gradually I will let her get closer to them, evenings the crate can be open and she has a house lead on so I can get her quicker and safer if anything happened but nothing has every happened.

It is important that you go at the new dog's pace and not to rush her. Also she is in a new home with new house rules, don't make exceptions for her, the past has gone, she has to learn to fit in like the other dogs but it has to be done in her time.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks.
As I will be living on my own that reply was very helpful to me!
I may be able to get parents to help introduce on neutral ground but it may not be an option at the time.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2014, 03:07 PM
I've never introduced on neutral ground, I usually bring the new dog in and make the introductions in the garden. Although with Milan the intro was done in her previous owners garden and with Teddy it was done in my lounge as it was hammering down outside. That said, I know my dogs and they are not territorial and are used to dogs coming and going, they take their lead from me. I just play it by ear and have never had a problem yet.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2014, 04:34 PM
My dogs are very good with other dogs, their problem is they play rough, very rough if they get the chance which most dogs can't cope with. Peggie my last foster dog couldn't cope with them, I could only let 2 dogs be with her at any time.

The quickest was a Bull Lurcher, I took him from a pound and he had so many lumps on, all shapes and sizes and the cancer had spread. He loved the rough and tumble with my gang especially Cyril and Dolly and was just as bad. Charley Boy had 5 happy days before being pts, he had 12 seizures in those 5 days so I let him go.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2014, 03:03 PM
its worth remembering that dogs don't always react the same in their own environment, i'm another who has never done neutral territory, just straight in
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2014, 03:55 PM
I think a good way is to take the new dog into the garden or wherever your current dog toilets and let the dog have a sniff and go to the toilet. Then give the dog a safe point they feel comfortable inside (with totts it was a crate in a corner muffin rarely sat) I then got a hand to take them both a walk with them meeting at the top of the street, then bring them both into the house together and kept them both on lead till I felt confident they were ok.

We had absolutely no problem at all with muffin and totts or amber with either muffin or totts. Ill let you know how it goes with agatha on Wednesday. When are you picking up your rescue?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >