Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2014, 02:02 AM
After Brownie died in Feb of last year, I went looking for another Lab mix puppy right away. I found this wonderful shelter loaded with unwanted puppies.

I wanted a male puppy, but not a yellow because that would remind me of Brownie too much. I couldn't bear to be without a male dog. I'll never be able to.

Looked through all the puppy holders at tons of cute puppies, and I finally found Nigredo... who jumped up on the side of the little thing and wagged his curly tail and gave me a huge HI!!

Selected him instantly, would not leave his holder... for fear of someone else getting him. Absolute love at first sight

Got the ridiculous contract, interviews, house checks, useless corona etc. vaccines etc. done and he was mine.

My father who I live with unfortunately is a very emotional person and I fear that he won't truly let another dog into his heart after the loss of our beloved Brownie... but he has warmed to Nigredo a little bit now and maybe one day he will come to love Nigredo as I do.

Adopted 04/03/2013

Love him just as much as Brownie, though of course no dog can ever replace my old B.
Blonderosie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2014, 04:04 AM
After my previous dog died , we waited 3 weeks before looking in the dog shelters We were able to take him home the same day.It's so much better having a dog at home
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2014, 11:12 AM
A bit like some others all mine have found me, apart from Beaky (Mia) Saluki cross who came home after we had gone to the shelter looking to see if they had any pups, one look at those huge sad brown eyes and that was it! She was the only dog in the shelter not barking and she looked so desperately sad and unhappy I couldn't bear to leave her behind, we had her 15 wonderful years
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2014, 02:42 PM
I went to the kennels who took in the strays. There were only 4 dogs there and I chose Lana. They weren't sure about letting her go as she was a timid dog so they charged me twice as much lol As I didn't have a car and had arrived by bus and taxi they delivered her to me the next day.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2014, 06:29 PM
After my beloved best pal and constant companion for 10 yrs died (Charlie Girl CKCS) I vowed never to get another dog as I just couldn't face going thro' the heartbreak when they die again.

I lasted a bit over 2 yrs without one. I help in rescues and am quite involved with lots of 'unwanted' dogs. You could pick up a 'street dog' every day of the week here in Cyprus. But - once a street dog, always a street dog really. They like to wander.

I considered 'fostering' having looked after a couple of dogs for neighbours while they were away. But knew I'd never be able to hand the foster back even if totally unsuitable for me.

Once I'd decided I just must have another dog as I wasn't 'me' without a dog, I avoided the rescues like the plague. Because I knew I would just end up with either the dog I felt the most sorry for, or the dog that wouldn't leave my side, regardless of size or breed or suitability for living in an upper apartment.

I knew roughly what my requirements were for a happy life for both me and the dog. No more long haireds with the intense long summer months here - no more 'clingy velcro' dogs as of necessity I have to leave them at least twice a year. No more dogs that cannot abide being left for even a couple of hours as dogs are definitely NOT welcome everywhere in Cyprus!

A terrier type seemed to fit the bill so I looked for one. I hadn't even really heard of minpins nor knew anything about them. When I looked up the breed profile 'Tyrants of the miniature dog world' independent, feisty, and all that - I knew she'd fit the bill.

No dogs can ever 'replace' any of the dogs I've loved and lost. Each time I've thought they were the best dogs in the world and the best breed in the world.

I think the same now about little Bella. Who will most likely be the last dog I ever own - can't see me lasting another 15 yrs or more! But have made arrangements in case I don't and she does! She is the sunshine of my life. We are ideally suited - two totally unreasonable, @rsey old witches living together!

I will always consider I 'rescued' her because she was on death's door with no good prognosis within 24 hours of me buying her and the only option offered was to return her for full refund they'd put her down rather than pay vet bills.

I do remind her of this 'if it weren't for me you'd be dead now you dwarf ingrate' - she's not impressed!
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2014, 09:27 AM
One visit to Blue Cross in Banbury then a home visit & he was home with us. He was one of the few dogs that was available and suitable for a family with young children when we visited so we didn't really have a choice. Kevin (we didn't name him lol) was around a year old when we got him and he lived until he was 15. Fantastic family dog!
We spent a year looking for our last dog and eventually ended up with the 3yr old litter brother of our other dog. He was up for rehoming & we were contacted by the breeder. Still causing chaos nearly 6yrs on
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Great replies!
It's amazing to me how many of you found "your" dog so fast/on the first visit!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Great replies!
It's amazing to me how many of you found "your" dog so fast/on the first visit!
I just received this by email

and went straight to fetch her.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Malka - I am not surprised! So cute!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >