Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 09:59 PM

Can he go down to 3 meals?

When I got Deacon he was being fed 4 meals a day, with the hope that he was weaned off the 4th (like Jamie) at 5mth after all the other meals increase... I have followed the breeders diet sheet... but as his other meals are increasing in portions, he is going off the 4th meal, infact he is refusing to eat them
He is 10wks old, is he ok to just have 3 meals if I increase them slightly to compensate.... Jamie was on 4 meals til 5mths of age...
Deacon is active happy and a good weight (9kg)
Thanks guys...
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 10:43 PM
If he isn't keen on a meal I would up the other meals to compensate & drop the meal he isn't keen on. I had one collie who would only ever eat one meal, I had to give him the others as"treats"during play & training
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 11:19 PM
I agree, although I would watch his stools and make sure he doesn't go loose, on bigger meals x 3 !!

Also if you are treat training a fair bit, then that will compensate for the meal that is missing
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys Had a word with his breeder and he said to up the amount in each meal and just give 3 if he is happiest....
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah definitely drop the 4th and like the others have said use the difference for training.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 07:46 PM
my carlsberg did that he has been on 3 meals since a week after getting him, he has now dropped him self to 2 meals i still put the 3rd down but he will not touch it, so now i dont bother just give a few treats with traning. i am sure he will be fine hun good luck. more pics please lol