Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thats good, have you spoken to the breeder to ask if pup suffered the same with her, or has this just started with you,

Try and find out how she was kept, (in the house/kennel) what the breeder fed her and so on ...

Try and see what if anything has changed.... from one home to the other.

Have you considered speaking to the vet about steroids, these will at least stop the itching and settle her condition down...

A few yrs ago Millie suddenly developed a real nasty allergy, her skin was red and sore she got no rest through the itching, (thats when my ve told me about piriton being useless) we did all the usual things, the malaseb baths, Advocate, skin scrapes , change of food, after a couple of courses of steroids which settled her irritation down, it just went as quickly as it came.

Another thing I would try, is get some Thornit, and rub between her toes and in her ears... this will not harm her, but if the irritation is caused by mites it may just help get rid of them.
I did email the previous owner letting her know she had settled in really well but we were having a problem with allergies cause at the time that's all we thought it was, she recommended the raw cause she has her on raw Turkey but apart from that she came across like I was trying to blame her, which of course I wasn't I was just letting her know how she was getting on and trying to find out any background info but all I got was "she was fine when she was here" so I just carried on trying.

The vet hasn't mentioned steroids, he said the next course of action will be skin scrapes that get sent to the lab, but I read online that steroids and antibiotics shouldn't be used cause it brings the good cells down or something. Or am I confused lol

What's Thornton, I've just rubbed coconut oil over her sore bits but stayed off her open wounds on her face
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by k_azu View Post
Can I ask what is puppy's pedigree name? Just because I'm Lithuanian and I know many breeders there so maybe I can find out what kennel the puppy is from. It might be easier to figure out the problem if you know whether her parents have allergies. If there is no pedigree then the puppy is either way brought in for bad purposes - no honest breeder would import a puppy that was sold by a back yard breeder. In which case I would also be making sure she has no worms and her vaccinations are real...
She isn't kennel club registered. On her passport it just has an owner's name which I can only assume is the breeder I will send the name to you in PM in case you know the name and her papers have been left for whatever reason. Her vaccinations are real with real stickers etc my vet has checked all these.

The vet stamp in the passport says privatus vet. Gydytojas paulius sevelis, not sure if you can make anything of that
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Sara1210 View Post
She isn't kennel club registered. On her passport it just has an owner's name which I can only assume is the breeder I will send the name to you in PM in case you know the name and her papers have been let for whatever reason. Her vaccinations are real with real stickers etc my vet has checked all these.

The vet stamp in the passport says privatus vet. Gydytojas paulius sevelis, not sure if you can make anything of that
It won't let me message you for whatever reason but the name on her passport it's hard to read but I think it says Monika Boazauskaile, address just says siauliai Lithuania.

To be honest she's a pet and a member of the family now. I don't care why she is here all that matters to me is that she's with us now and I just want to make her better.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 02:13 PM
I did email the previous owner letting her know she had settled in really well but we were having a problem with allergies cause at the time that's all we thought it was, she recommended the raw cause she has her on raw Turkey but apart from that she came across like I was trying to blame her, which of course I wasn't I was just letting her know how she was getting on and trying to find out any background info but all I got was "she was fine when she was here" so I just carried on trying.

The vet hasn't mentioned steroids, he said the next course of action will be skin scrapes that get sent to the lab, but I read online that steroids and antibiotics shouldn't be used cause it brings the good cells down or something. Or am I confused lol

What's Thornton, I've just rubbed coconut oil over her saw its but stayed off her open wounds on her face
Sorry that should say thornit lol
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2013, 02:15 PM
"Gydytojas paulius sevelis" is just the name of the Vet - it translates to Doctor Paul Sevel.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
"Gydytojas paulius sevelis" is just the name of the Vet - it translates to Doctor Paul Sevel.
Oh thank you at least I know what that bit means now lol
NothelenHelenpa
New Member!
Female 

03-06-2013, 02:27 PM
You poor, poor thing! I disagree totally with the answer that you care too much, is that possible? I have Boston terriers, a quite similar breed and I just adore them and I totally get what you are going through. I agree 100% that you should get a second opinion as obviously the poor little mite is suffering (and you). As for the yoghurt.......try rubbing it in.,! I do hope you beat this and wish you both well. Helen
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by NothelenHelenpa View Post
You poor, poor thing! I disagree totally with the answer that you care too much, is that possible? I have Boston terriers, a quite similar breed and I just adore them and I totally get what you are going through. I agree 100% that you should get a second opinion as obviously the poor little mite is suffering (and you). As for the yoghurt.......try rubbing it in.,! I do hope you beat this and wish you both well. Helen
Thank you Helen

I've just rubbed coconut oil in her and I'm hoping that will soothe her skin, I've also given her an acidophilus tablet and a piriton at the minute I'm kind of hoping I can at least get her comfortable while we try and battle with it all. The thing is apart from when she's itching which I'm trying to do for her as my hands aren't quite as harsh as her claws lol she's acting like there's nothing wrong, she's running around playing with xena like a normal puppy all happy go lucky but she's got red patches and hair missing so she's really looking in the wars but it's not showing in her attitude at all. She's my little soldier

I love Boston terriers so I'll look forward to your pics
k_azu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah the vet seems to be a good guy. I was asking about the vaccinations because sometimes there's dodgy vets who actually help the back yard breeders. I'm at work now but will check the breeders name when I'm home.
be careful with the coconut oil as I've heard from some breeders that some dogs skin gets irritated by it because it apparently clogs up the pores :/ but yogurt sounds like a good idea!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2013, 04:15 PM

What's Thornton, I've just rubbed coconut oil over her sore bits but stayed off her open wounds on her face
Why would a breeder who shows her dogs import an unregistered dog from another country, is she registered with the countries of origan KC , does LIthuania have an official KC! Or do they register with the FCI ? I am surprised a reputable breeder would import a dog thay could not use here in the UK?.

Antibiotics, and steroids will have side affects just like any other medication, but you have to way up what is best for your dog. I never understand the argument (not meaning you) that folk don't want to give their pet,A,b,C Because it might affect this or that in the long term, the important thing is to treat what is happening now, and if steroids were the right thing to give in this case to help with the itchiness , then I would not worry about what they might do in the future.

I would have thought the vet would already have taken skin scrapes ... Maybe if she is no better make an other appointment and rush things along, it can't be pleasant for her at the moment.

Thornit, is something we all should have in our medice chest, it's a powder ( can't think of the ingredients ) that you rub between feet or around the inner ear, it kills any mites and if this is part of her problem, it may help, you can buy it on line. It's not expensive and is ideal to keep on hand for any redness or itchy/ dirty ears....
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >