Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 05:55 PM

Am I crazy for doing this?

I mentioned in someone else's post this morning about two white boxers that I've been warned about, that live in my village (apparently they broke free one day from their owner's hand, jumped a fence and mauled a Westie).

Well, on the way back from the fields earlier I bumped into the owner and I made a point of stopping to chat to him. Now both of them were growling and pulling fiercely at the leads (they had Halti's on) and I wont deny I was abit nervous but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So, I crossed to the other side of the street and we had a good old chat from either side of the road (once I'd checked he was happy to do this). I mentioned that in the nicest possible way I had been warned about his dogs and hoped he didn't mind me saying. He didn't and agreed that the situation was bad but that the Westie was absolutely fine and that since it happened they have been paying for a behaviourist to come and work with them once a week to help them with other dogs.

They're fine with humans, but the bitch had a bad experience as a pup and then they got a male a few years later so she is aggressive with other dogs now and he just follows her lead.

I felt really sorry for him because he kept commenting on how controlled Woody was and how he wishes he could let them run free and play.

I think it was good to be nice to him as I'm sure other dog owners all shun him, even though I know full well that had they managed to break free they would have gone for Woody.

Was I right to do that? Or did I stupidly put Woody at risk? I wish I could help him.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 05:58 PM
You did totally the right thing. I adopt a talk to anyone approach too. So many dog owners can feel marginalised because of the breed they have or because of gossip amongst other walkers...me I chat to anyone who will stand still long enough....
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:02 PM
You did the right thing. It's hard to be the owner of an aggressive dog. You were as safe as you could be and I'm sure he appreciated someone taking a genuine interest rather than crossing the street and avoiding him. He's working with a behaviourist so clearly has the best interests of the dogs at heart. You did a nice thing.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Good to know guys, thanks!

I've seen him before and he always seems to be working hard with his dogs when he walks them so he can't be that bad. Mistakes happen, it's how you deal with it that makes the difference, I think.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
You did totally the right thing. I adopt a talk to anyone approach too. So many dog owners can feel marginalised because of the breed they have or because of gossip amongst other walkers...me I chat to anyone who will stand still long enough....
well said, I often find people would rather rush past the rotties, its great once they get to know us they often stop and chat, but I often think its just for the training advice, word seems to get round that I train dogs so I can be stopped alot when people go into details on there problems, I cant seem to get a happy medium lol

the one thing I would say the more friendly people are on walks the higher chance there dogs will be more open to meeting other dogs happily
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I agree with everyone else
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
well said, I often find people would rather rush past the rotties, its great once they get to know us they often stop and chat, but I often think its just for the training advice, word seems to get round that I train dogs so I can be stopped alot when people go into details on there problems, I cant seem to get a happy medium lol

the one thing I would say the more friendly people are on walks the higher chance there dogs will be more open to meeting other dogs happily
We end up having people stop us and be sympathetic, or stop and laugh uncontrollably as they see a certain very naughty muppet dive into mud and scuba through it....
Ceefer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I remember i always used to stop and talk to fellow doggie bods when out on my walks. I did find something interesting tho and i wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience. I always found that morning dog walkers were more friendly than afternoon ones!!!! i found this a bit bizarre and wondered if anyone else had had similar expereinces?

I think that was a lovely gesture that you made Pidge and am sure it was appreciated.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I think you did the right thing.
Sometimes people with aggressive dogs who get shunned can feel ostracized and this can create problems for them dealing with thier dog/s.

When someone feels this way it can demoralize thier ego, and if this in turn starts to effect them and the times they walk thier dog/s trying to avoid people, it will be of no benefit to thier dog/s. I'm not suggesting that Woody would be able to run free with them, just incase they did turn on him, but it may help in the future where you can both walk together or even stop and chat, hopefully in time they will get used to Woody and who knows they may in time accept him.

Well done
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:48 PM
not crazy, really rather kind *hugs*
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >