Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 10:01 AM
yep - all the time.
You can take 1 dog on a bus at the discretion of the driver. I`ve never been turned down. I tend to sit where I can lie the dog under my feet as space is short but I find they older generation like to stroke them so they tend to creep out.
I was hugely proud when Daisy went on the bus for the first time and behaved like an angel (she used to spook if people walked past us in the street).
Trains are a doddle. Exept for the Underground. Many stations don`t have stairs anymore and you can`t take them on escalators. One time they had to halt the escalator for us and a guy carried my case for me as we all walked up it (mad woman, 2 big dogs) which didn`t please the commuters. We tend to get a black cab across London if we have to change mainline stations.
On mainline trains 2 dogs are free and you pay child fare for over that. I find it pays to have a chat to the Guard as they can point out the best place to sit.
Have fun!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 10:34 AM
I took all three on the bus...no problems.
Both reah and Skye have been on the train....Bruce has yet to experience.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 10:41 AM
No - only because Marius is traffic-phobic though!!!

I used to take my previous dogs on the bus quite often, they used to love it!! My Mum used to take her dog on the train from Cumbria to Rochdale and they both loved the journey!!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Oh wow, my boys will be pleased, the only place I don't think I want to do is the underground, but thats cos I hate it anyway... and I saw the film 'Creep'
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 01:30 PM
When I had my Cocker Spaniel Cassie. We went from Runcorn to Manchest on public transport. First I had to get a bus to Liverpool Lime st train station to Manchester Piccadilly then another bus to the other side of Manchester and finally a bus to Cheadle. I must say that it went like a breeze, mind you it was a while ago.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Know there is an elderly lady who travels to all the obedience shows by public transport. I used to use buses & trains a lot, but I can't use them myself now so dogs don't either.
marygiles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Mine are small so easy to cope with . Flora my poodle suffers with separation anxiety and I often take her on the bus with me if where I am going is dog friendly. I also took her on the train once but it was very, very crowded on the return journey and I stood swaying in the aisles for what seemed like ages until a seat became free.
I actually think people like dogs more than children and are very happy to talk to you.
National Express will not take dogs ---have'nt tried taxis around here yet! .Mary
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 08:23 PM
i have never used the bus . with the two i have at the moment . but my first collie bessey .she used to travel ,to my moms every day ,there and back by the bus (short journey ) she would either lie by my feet or .if it was empty .she would sit on the seat next to me (i know shouldnt really ,world was a more frindly place then )
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 08:53 PM
bens ok on a bus if i stroke him and talk to him. he just wants to *talk* to everyone he sees. and hes very hairy so i try n keep him away from ppl. OH took ben on a train and he was good, but the big gap from the train to the platform worried him. but im going to ask about the ramp. as i want to take ben on the train for the essex meet.
cars ben is a darling he just lays down n goes to sleep.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2008, 09:06 PM
I take the pups on and off buses and trains no probs, but to be honest, I end up not going on buses once they hit about 7 months as they get so big. 48kg of dog just doesn't fit ....the only buses I can get the big ones on are the ones with the spaces for wheelchairs at the front.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >