Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Luz I had the same problem, mine was about 6yrs old and had NVRAM which is obsolete now, so I couldnt increase the memory! It was soooooo slow, and Norton wasnt helping as it uses a LOT of memory. I kept getting the low virtual memory thing too, windows increasing it etc... but it just so bad I bought a new base unit, and its zoomy fast!! Only £190 too.
Dawn,
Its terminal then? (sorry)
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
Good to see you again Fred. Thanks for that, the link didnt work?
Funnily enough when I did the spyware thing I got a box come up saying my virtual memory was low & windows was increasing it. Will spyware help with that?
hi luz
it might can't say yes or no a virtual memory is usualy from something in the registary if you can download something like regseeker and clean your old compressed files and the registary would help a lot you can load it down from here
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
i saw you had a laptop load it down on that and install it and let it have a good clean up worth a try but usualy ok and the computer works after cant promise you but if it works after it will be much faster and less problems
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Adding some memory is a good option. Try EBay for older memory. OH just got a deal on older memory for his mum's pc from EBay.
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
Thanks so much Erin that was really helpful. Ive downloaded both and run them which showed up some infected files. Mind it took all day for them to download and run.
I do have Windows xp professional with a pop up blocker. I did a disk clean up & defragment, so I will let you know how it performs when Im next opening loads of boxes.
Wish me luck ............
no problem laura,i dont know it all but im fairly up on my computer knowledge,im happy to hep,hope its helped
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Having a system that hangs is not good uping the amount of ram you have will help and this is the cheaper way of speeding your system up.

If you want to speed up properly you need to change your processor to a bigger one if you want to do more things all at once i would reconmend getting a dual core processor as these are designed to run quite afew applications at the same time without making your system hang. If you don't fancy a dual core processor then just get a bigger single core one but go 939 pin ones not the 700 range as these are the lower power ones.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Since last posting I have struggled to get any internet connection/word/e-mails etc. Just had a blank screen. Not sure if its a virus or otherwise, everthing went mental and honestly felt like throwing the whole god damn thing out of the window.
Ive got AVG as my virus check is that a good enough one?
Ive downloaded the spyware thing which since doing that it has got worse?
I tried the spybot thing but when downloaded they asked for money when it said download for free??
I dont personally want another computer I think this one is good just needs a 'pep me up'.
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:41 PM
hey laura try adaware from www.download.com its free to use and download, easy and does a good job, im not sure of what the problem is without more info, and its strange how it came on all of a sudden, it could be a hardware issue, i know its a pretty stupipd thing to say, but have you reset your PC lately? cud be lack of physical memory or resources running a little low. If you havent tried that, try it!

If you can get back to me soon with a little more info, ie. any error messages etc that wud be easier for me to diagnose the problem

Erin x
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2007, 09:45 PM
laura, have you managed to have a look at ccleaner, i would recommend it, it scans for all the unneeded stuff pc clock up and also scans for any issuse the pc maybe having.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2007, 09:48 PM
A link to it.

http://www.ccleaner.com/
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Got a blank on everything yesterday, I thought I had a virus. I did the adaware sp special and since then its got worse. The spybot thing asks for money and keeps popping boxes up asking me to sort it out?
I got a box come up while downloading all the above saying my virtual memory was low. So am hopeful its that and not a virus. Yesterday was weird. I lost loads of word documents I had worked on? and had a white blank screen for hours?
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »