Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 09:50 PM
I cant offer any help "H" as i know nothing x
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Helena if you haven't got the drivers on the disk that came with it you can get all you need from the link you gave.

You can get the firmware there as well and the instructions
the thing is tho have your got a network cable that goes from you lan (local area network) port on your pc to your router like this below.
This a picture of what a lan port looks like have you got this on your pc it will be on the back this a double port one but you yours will be proberly single but as long as you got one thats all that counts. If you have not got the lan port then you will need some more hardware for your pc before you can use your new router/ modem

If not then you will not be able to change any settings on the router the only thing you will be able to do is configure your lan port settings on your pc ready for when you connect to the router and input your user name and password to connect to the internet.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi Leo and thanks! Well, this looks like the lead that was still in the box, both ends are the same and it looks like your pic? The cable he has connected to the router has sort of bigger ends, one is in the back of the router and the other end has gone into the ONLY place it will fit on the back of the pc which says Ethernet? Is that right? We never even connected up this wire with the same ends, which to me look like telephone socket ends? another question whilst I'm on is, the address etc. that I have to type into my browser, do I have to be on the internet then when I do this? I can't see how I can be connected to the internet with my AOL ADSL modem, when he actually disconnected that altogether and wired up the router and switched it on when we started all of this, and in which case I couldn't get on the internet could I?!! Should we have our aol VT voyager ADSL still connected then when I start all of this?

p.s. Ceiron I've sorted out my headphones now! Lol! I've added you to my Skype
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Standard UK ADSL Settings

PPPoA with VC Mux or PPPoE with LLC Based
VPI 0
VCI 38

Additional Information for AOL Users
Connection Protocol: PPPoA
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Note that sometimes you will be asked for both figures together (VPI/VCI).
In that instance, you enter them separated by a comma: 0,38
Username: yourscreenname@aol.com
Password: youraolpassword

The Screen Name you use for configuring your router to sign on to AOL must follow the following guidelines to avoid technical problems with your connection:

You must enter the full Screen Name in lower case i.e. helena54@aol.com, not Helena54@aol.com
You must add @aol.com after the Screen Name
The Screen Name must not contain any spaces.

More details here: http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/faqHomeNetworking.adp

Ethernet is correct.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks Roy. I've just printed that aol info out and I'll have a good read, but can I ask you please, do I leave the aol adsl modem connected up as it is when I start all of this then, or do we completely disconnect that and set up the wireless modem/router instead, as I can't see how I can be on the internet otherwise - or maybe I don't need to be connected when I'm doing all of this??? Heeeeeeeelp! Wish I'd never bought that damn thing!!!

Edited: Just found some specific info on my aol, so I think I might go off and have a read of it all....... may see you later then, and thanks!!!!
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-10-2006, 10:53 AM
You can leave the existing ADSL modem connected to the BT socket whilst you set up the new device. When you are happy that the new one has all the correct settings, remove the old one and plug the new one into the BT socket.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
The cable he has connected to the router has sort of bigger ends, one is in the back of the router and the other end has gone into the ONLY place it will fit on the back of the pc which says Ethernet? Is that right?
Yes it is correct this is also know as RJ 45 plug
We never even connected up this wire with the same ends, which to me look like telephone socket ends?
It does look the same it's bigger than the phone socket one known as RJ 11 Plug so you can not plug one into the other hole because they won't fit.
another question whilst I'm on is, the address etc. that I have to type into my browser, do I have to be on the internet then when I do this? I can't see how I can be connected to the internet with my AOL ADSL modem, when he actually disconnected that altogether and wired up the router and switched it on when we started all of this, and in which case I couldn't get on the internet could I?!! Should we have our aol VT voyager ADSL still connected then when I start all of this?
Your pc will find the correct port for getting out so even tho you are not connected to the internet the internet explorer can still be used but in this case it will be on the lan not the wan you input that ip address for your router and IE will connect to it so you can set it up. As Royv said once your happy with the settings just unplug your phone line from the old modem and plug it into the new one power the new one up and as long as you set it up correctly then you'll be online.

The way IE connects to the internet will br differant for you when using your new modem you will not see the connecting box because your modem is powered by itself and always connected to the internet while powered so when your pc is switched off you are still online because your modem is on thats how your OH will be able to connect to the internet while the main pc is off with his laptop.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Many thanks Leo. I just sat down here with a nice cuppa tea, and thought, I'll give it a go! Good start, I can't get to that 10.0.0.2 as a page comes up with Access Denied!! Lol! That's a good start then! I think you might be right on this one Gaz, I might have to find an alternative use for this nice little silver box.... hmmmmmmmm??????

Whilst reading through all the aol gumpf I noticed if I bought a BT one that they recommend they will send me a disc and away I go! that might be more my style!
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Unfortunately you need to get to that page in order to set the router up - did it ask for a username & password ?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2006, 04:33 PM
No roy, just great big black letters saying "Access Denied" Maybe it had heard about meeeeeeee It took me ages and ages to even get that coz I was getting the page cannot be displayed, until I actually copied your http link and pasted it in! I'm fed up with it now, I get very easily bored with something like this. I like things that work and do what they're supposed to do. I honestly thought it would just be a case of plug it in, maybe do a quick config. on the pc by answering some questions, and that would be it! Sadly that doesn't seem to be the case with this one does it. I'd be much happier with one that has a disc to go with it and virtually does it all for me! That's not too much to ask is it!

I can't thank you all enough for being so on the ball with this one for me, and even though you have given me great assistance, it's all down to cockpit error, I didn't realise how stupid I am until this pc came into the house!!!

p.s. I did switch the router on thinking it might let me in on that page, but still Access Denied! Terminate, terminate........Lol!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >