Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 11:04 AM

My new router - heeeeelp please!

I know I'm a pain, but I just went out and bought a new router so Dave can go wireless on his laptop. The young man (phwoooooaaar!) inthe shop recommended the Sweex 140 nitro XM to me and was very, very helpful and said all I needed to do is put the wire going from the ASDL model to the pc, put it to the new router, and the wire from the new router onto the pc and away I go. I have a disk with it too of course. He said they have sold 100's of this type and never had one back, whereas the Belko's he had fitted both caught fire within a week!!! and yet this was CHEAP, only £38.99??? Very cheap I thought!

I want to have a go and do it myself as Dave has gone off to Dorset today for an engine, and I'm much better doing stuff like this on my own, but just wanted to ask you please if this is all that I do with it, what this man told me? Is itreally as simple as that then??? Thanks guys.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 11:39 AM
I have never heard of that make Helen but I would give it a try and do what the man said and you should see the lights flashing as it is setting up. You will need to install the disc that came with it first though I think. Mines a Belkin so I'm not sure what you do with the sweex model but it is probably much the same thing. You will probably have some numbers to type in like 192.2.168 to get into the router screen and set it up in there.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks Foxy (not out shopping then???!) I've decided I can't do it on my own coz I've got to pull the pc desk out and other stuff to get to the wiring points and he'll tell me off coz I've done my back in!! It's all ready and when he gets back we'llhave a go. Thanks for that help Foxy
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks Foxy (not out shopping then???!) I've decided I can't do it on my own coz I've got to pull the pc desk out and other stuff to get to the wiring points and he'll tell me off coz I've done my back in!! It's all ready and when he gets back we'llhave a go. Thanks for that help Foxy
Yes probably the sensible option - I always wait for my o/h to do all that sort of stuff

No we don't do the grocery shopping till later after the rush has died down - I hate shopping when its busy

Trying to get interested in the dreaded ironing at the minute
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-09-2006, 01:25 PM
**wonders if your adsl modem is usb cable like msot are and in fact the router you have been sold is wrong

****waits to find out
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi Ceiron. Hmmmmm, well my pc adsl is USB, and the new router has its own power supply? Is that good news for me or bad then????
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Hi Ceiron. Hmmmmm, well my pc adsl is USB, and the new router has its own power supply? Is that good news for me or bad then????
badddddddddddddd

what you need is a modem router combined, usb modems wont connect to routers.

theyare cheaper to make though hence why companies make them

also mean peopel need to buy additional hardware to go wireless etc ...

so yeah your pc man has erm got it wrong as i suspected

and configuring the mdoem router isnt that eay either.

i do hwoever happen to have a spare adsl modem router, however tis not wireless but would replace your existing modem and then connect into your wireless router.

be easier to buy a combiner adsl modem wireless router though.lol
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks Ceiron! Well, the nightmare began when we realised the cable from my old AOL modem was a USB cable, so had to rush back to the shop before he shut to change it for what you have in fact suggested, a wireless modem/router, cost another £10, but he said, just putthe phone cable in one end and the other cable to the pc and away we go!!! NOT"!!!!! Just spent the last 2 hours trying to configure it. Managed to get where the manual said and did some "stuff" but when we went into the RUN and typed in what they said, pressed enter, got the black/white screen, every time I typed in Ipconfig nothing else appeared each time like it should have, spent another hour in there i think!!!! I carried on doing the ipconfig/release bit etc. etc. but still nothing else happened? Any ideas on that one then please? My two little arrows down in the system tray were always red too,never green like they are now that I'm back on the old ADSL modem I started off with! Lol! I hate pc's!!! Can you come over and do it for me then Ceiron, obviously we'll pay???? Our pc man is busy, busy busy at the moment and he said it's a complete nightmare anyway and that's why he originally told Dave to get an AOL wireless router, but I didn't did I!!!
I hate these things! I only like Dogsey, I don't like doing other stuff on here it drives me insane!!!
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-09-2006, 07:09 PM
From the Start ->Run box, type in CMD and press enter/OK or whatever it says. You should then get the black DOS type screen up. Type in IPCONFIG /ALL there and you should be able to see what it's doing.

Can you get to the IP address of the new router/modem using your browser ? - you need to type in:

http://modemsipaddress

in the Address line. Hopefully it'll tell you in the manual what the default IP address is.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »