Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Minnie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Minnie don't think this is not a hoax, see the article I posted above from Znet magazine ...the popups were from Microsoft.
Mini I stand corrected!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-05-2006, 08:34 AM
When you buy a pc system with windows on it the licence that you buy is just for that meachine and not for others in your house hold (not that it could tell) the key to it all is the cd key.

As CC said if you system is bought from a major supplier like PC World it would have a code on it like this

To check if you have got a valid version of windows go HERE That is Microsoft’s site, If your version ok but you have not got a Windows installation disk then don't worry any windows disk home/ pro depending on which one you got will do if you want to reinstall your windows you just need the cd code that is in your system. If you require the softwear to find this then i can help you or i can tell you how to find it manually.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Q: What will the WGA Notifications experience be for non-genuine Windows users?

A: Customers found to be using non-genuine versions of Windows will receive a message during logon that their copy of Windows appears to be non-genuine and will be directed to the WGA Web site to learn more. Users who choose not to obtain a copy of genuine Windows will receive periodic reminders. Regardless of genuine status, users will not be denied access to critical security updates. Users who have not validated their computers as genuine, however, will not be able to install many updates, including Internet Explorer 7.0 and Windows Defender
So, it appears that Microsoft aren't blocking critical updates.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Wow - Thanks everyone. crazycockers - I can't find anything on the bottom of the computer (so I think I have been duped by this guy....so much for paying my £800 then). royv..wow thanks for all of the info. - I'm frightened of trying to get around it as I'm not sure that I would know how to find everything to follow the instructions that it suggests but, it also looks from what you point out that it will be be essential that I do anything immediately...just annoying. leo - thanks I do have a cd of windows 98 and a full pack of cd's including windows work suite 2000 still from my old computer which I know must have been genuine as I know my brother registered some 'keys' when I got them...will these be okay to get back on if it all goes pear shaped when I eventually try to update to the genuine ones?

Thanks guys for all your help...I realise just how much I need to learn about computers and just how brilliant my secreataries (and under valued) were in my last job!!!

Kath XX
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Forgot to say that if you have a Microsoft hologrammed sticker on your PC with an XP licence key, you can check to see if this is what has been entered by your PC manufacturer using this piece of software:

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

If the values don't match, the manufacturer has used a Volume licence to do the installation and didn't complete the individualisation process.

The software should allow you to put the correct values in and hopefully fix the 'counterfeiting' message.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by royv
So, it appears that Microsoft aren't blocking critical updates.
Thank you everyone for your input

Yes Roy I noticed when I checked my update history that critical updates continued to be added after the tool was installed because my PC is set to receive updates automatically .One of these was a security update .

Leo I checked at it says mine isn't genuine Have inquired and this PC was purchased directly from Dell with windows installed , It was in a house shared by many students/boys and before it came to me was wiped and newer version of windows installed, I guess that was where the problem arose .

I am not going to do anything at the moment.I realize I can't receive the upgrade to W7 but am fine as I am
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Meganrose
Wow - Thanks everyone. crazycockers - I can't find anything on the bottom of the computer (so I think I have been duped by this guy....so much for paying my £800 then). royv..wow thanks for all of the info. - I'm frightened of trying to get around it as I'm not sure that I would know how to find everything to follow the instructions that it suggests but, it also looks from what you point out that it will be be essential that I do anything immediately...just annoying. leo - thanks I do have a cd of windows 98 and a full pack of cd's including windows work suite 2000 still from my old computer which I know must have been genuine as I know my brother registered some 'keys' when I got them...will these be okay to get back on if it all goes pear shaped when I eventually try to update to the genuine ones?
If you still have the invoice details from this supplier and it specifically states that Windows XP is pre-installed as part of the PC, you may be able to get a complimentary XP licence key from Microsoft, but your first port of call should be the supplier.

Also, it may still be genuine if the sticker is affixed to any manuals, documents that came with the PC - it's normally fixed to the case somewhere.

Q: How do customers whose counterfeit Windows came pre-installed on their PCs qualify for the complimentary offer?
A: A counterfeit disc is required in order to be eligible for the complimentary offer. This allows customers to show that a counterfeit transaction occurred. Customers who did not receive a counterfeit disk, but are willing to submit a counterfeit report regarding a fraudulent transaction, are able to qualify for the electronic license key offer.

Q: Will people who participate in the genuine Windows offer face repercussions for having illegal software?
A: Microsoft will not bring legal action against the people who participate in the genuine Windows offer.

Q: What can I use for proof of purchase?
A: Because purchase documentation varies widely, we are flexible. Proof of purchase can be a purchase order, the original supplier invoice, or some other store receipt. The proof of purchase must show the supplier’s name and address, the date of purchase, and a reference to Windows.

Q: What must I provide on the counterfeit report?
A: The counterfeit report helps Microsoft identify the reseller and type of counterfeit software transaction that took place. The information that is required on the report is:
Was the copy of Windows preinstalled?
Where was it purchased (Web, street vendor, store, etc)?
What was the reseller’s name?
Did you receive a CD and a Certificate of Authenticity (COA)?
How much did you pay?
What was the date of purchase?
You must also provide your shipping address so Microsoft can send you a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP CD.
To report to Microsoft: https://www.microsoft.com/uk/piracy/form/default.aspx
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Not read the whole of this thread but I have had major problems with my computer lately, had microsoft pop ups left right and center, my computer just couldnt function, I got my computer some time ago with Microsoft XP already installed by a friend, I contacted microsoft and they said that they couldnt help me as the copy I had installed had been used numerious times by the distributor, so I ended up taking it back to my friend who had to completely clean out my computer, and start all afresh. up to now its been dong OK but if any pop ups come from microsoft to update I now ignore, just in case I start it all up again, grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Mo
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks Steve, Mini and everyone I think I'll leave well alone for now and then take it somewhere as you suggest Steve when I've saved up. I am flipping mad though if it is proved to be not genuine.

Thanks again, Kath X

Omg Kath I have just read your post and that is absolutely disgusting. Can't you find this man and tell him you want your money back My sister has just gone through the same sort of thing - paid nearly £400 for a computer and it had illegal windows and no modem in it although the man at the shop knew she wanted to be able to access the internet. Anyway I went to her house yesterday and deleted all her photos and documents etc off it and her hubby is taking it back tomorrow.

What I can't understand is she has had it a month or so before it told her that it was an illegal copy - wonder why it didn't pop up and tell her before then?

I know PC World has a bad name for bad service but all our computers have come from there and at least you know EXACTLY what you are buying from them and they are a labelled brand, not something put together and you know that they won't have anything illegal on them. I would never use a small computer shop to buy a computer after hearing this.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-05-2006, 11:00 AM
leo - thanks I do have a cd of windows 98 and a full pack of cd's including windows work suite 2000 still from my old computer which I know must have been genuine as I know my brother registered some 'keys' when I got them...will these be okay to get back on if it all goes pear shaped when I eventually try to update to the genuine ones?
Kath XX
You have to be carefull if you want to go back to 98 cause you got to remember that there are stuff inside todays pc's that are not supported by windows 98 like big harddrives, bigger ram, Processors and loads of other stuff that 98 won't support. You can purchase Genuine windows xp home/ pro very cheaply and not pay the rip off price of microsoft the following link is for windows xp home/ pro is on the same site if you want that one.
XP HOME
XP PRO
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >