Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

21-12-2005, 11:25 AM
have a look in the manual for 'password protection' or 'security'

Basically I think you need to set up a password so that only those computers with a password (ie yours) get access to it.

I set one up yonks ago but cant remb it at the top oe me head sorry!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 11:31 AM
I had to go into the security section in my router and choose 128 bit encryption and then make up a password, put it in and then all these numbers and letters came up. I then had to get into the belkin usb adaptor software and put the password and a profile name that I made up in.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 01:11 PM
The suppliers of my gateway do tell you how to make it secure but I don't understand what they are saying or if each PC & Laptop need to follow the suggested steps or if it is only the 'service provider' that needs to have protection. Sure I am confusing you all, did not take much care to remember the network bits when I took the course on PC's and their uses, as I did not think I would need to know, ah! Such is the pain of hindsight.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2005, 04:40 PM
First of all i can only find USR9106 and not 9160

If you typed it wrong then i'm here for you so you want to encrypt your wireless connection very wise decision. IF you want this guide i have coverted the web page into a PDF if you want it pm me your e mail addy and i'll forward it on if there is anything you don't understand contact me.

The following was taken off the us robitcs site i would of posted the link to the instructions but it didn't provide one. But this is the page where you can access it it's listed in the FAQ'S on the left hand side under the heading IMPLEMENTING WIRELESS SECURITY. US Robotics Support

Configuring the USR9106 for Very Good Wireless Protection

This level implements the security that the basic level offers as well as using WEP to provide encryption of the data while being transmitted over the wireless link.

If you are unsure how to create WEP keys, you can find many random WEP key generators on the Web which you can then copy and paste into the WEP setup on the wireless card and on the USR9106. Just type WEP Key Generator in your search engine.

Steps for Configuring for Very Good Wireless Protection:

1.Configure the USR9106 as per the Basic Protection procedure.
2.Apply WEP encryption on the USR9106.
3.Apply WEP encryption on the Wireless card.
4.From the Wireless AP menu, select Security. Enable WEP Data Encryption, Required Shared Key Authentication and the Encryption Strength that your wireless card can support. Click Apply and click Set Encryption Keys.

5. Enter your WEP keys which can be in 26 characters HEX or 13 characters ASCII. Copy and paste the HEX or ASCII directly from the WEP Key Generator. You can enter up to 4 keys (if 2 or more are entered, you must remember the order the keys have been entered).

6. Click Apply and then click Apply again to finish.

7. Double-click the USRobotics Wireless Card Configuration Utility located in the lower left-hand corner of your screen. Click Site Survey from the menu, select the Profile from the list and click Properties. Click Security and select WEP Shared Authentication and ASCII or HEX Key Format (depending which one you are using) from the drop-down menus, and the Key Length you are using. Enter the same WEP keys you typed in the same order as before.

8. If you are using multiple keys, select the key that you are using on the router.

9.Click OK to finish. The Link Information Quality/Signal Strength should still be Green.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Dyslexia strikes again, it is 9106

Have found that page Leo but don’t understand it as it tells you to download Release 2.1 but when you go to do that it is 2.5 and I am not sure which I should be downloading, have emailed them to check.

Don’t understand the instruction –
Download the latest drivers for your wireless network card from the manufacturer’s Website. Most 802.11G 54Mbps wireless cards support WPA but it may require a later driver than what was supplied on the Driver CD. Refer to your wireless card technical support for details.

And do I have to do this with all the machines on my net work or just the one that is physically connected to the gateway/modem via a Ethernet cable.

Am only trying for the basic security – sure advanced would be totally beyond me.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Dyslexia strikes again, it is 9106.
it happens don't worry about it

Have found that page Leo but don’t understand it as it tells you to download Release 2.1 but when you go to do that it is 2.5 and I am not sure which I should be downloading, have emailed them to check.
Waiting for e mail can take ages you should always download the latest drivers for your equipment

Don’t understand the instruction –
Download the latest drivers for your wireless network card from the manufacturer’s Website..
What that means is go to the manufacturer’s Website for the PCI cards or USB devices in your all pc's/laptops that are going to be in the network and update them.

Most 802.11G 54Mbps wireless cards support WPA but it may require a later driver than what was supplied on the Driver CD. Refer to your wireless card technical support for details.
What that is saying that the cd that came with the PCI cards or USB devices may not be any goood any more as the drivers that are on it might be out of date.
And do I have to do this with all the machines on my net work or just the one that is physically connected to the gateway/modem via a Ethernet cable.
You need to do it to all the pc's Laptops that are going to be on the network.
Am only trying for the basic security – sure advanced would be totally beyond me.
Why would you think that it is not beyond you you can do it i will be here to help you all the way.

Have you seen the post i did about Foxys success in encrypting her network? She was the same as you not very confident at all but she stuck with it and she got there in the end as you will. So if you want the advanced stuff then you can i will help you.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 06:32 PM
OK thanks Leo. Lets take things one at a time then. Have to do the Basic bit first anyway.

How do I know if my PC has these things?
What that is saying that the cd that came with the PCI cards or USB devices may not be any goood any more as the drivers that are on it might be out of date.
The laptop is new and is wireless enabled but my PC is 12months old and is not, well I don't think so.

Think what I want to know is what is a PCI card and how do I know if it has one, understand USB but the only devices I am using on that are my printer and when I need it the scanner, apart that is from the thingies that you plug in and download to that seem to have different names think mine are Flash Drives but they take the place of the old floppies.

Sorry to ramble

EDIT - PCI memory creeping back does that mean Proccessing Interface of something like that and if so is it not something to do with the motherboard?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Lets take things one at a time then. Have to do the Basic bit first anyway.?:
Best way to proced

How do I know if my PC has these things?:
The installation disks that came with the usb devices the drivers that make them work might be out of date thats why you need to check for updates as in any software their useually floors in it when they first release it thats why they produce updates.
The laptop is new and is wireless enabled but my PC is 12months old and is not, well I don't think so.:
Right what you need to do with your Laptop is make sure that you got the encryption enabled on it.
On your pc you will need one of these USB antennas or PCI card antennas.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Right what you need to do with your Laptop is make sure that you got the encryption enabled on it.
On your pc you will need one of these USB antennas or PCI card antennas.
How do I make sure that the Laptop has encryption enabled?
The PC has the said US Robotics connected to it via the Ethernet cable - seems to work should it have something else?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2005, 07:23 PM
How do I make sure that the Laptop has encryption enabled??
Don't know but if you tell me the model make etc i can proberly find out

The PC has the said US Robotics connected to it via the Ethernet cable - seems to work should it have something else?
The pc then dosent need encrypting cause it's connected via the cable and is not transmitting a signal this is only for the pc's/Laptops that will be transmitting to the wireless Router.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >