Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Thank to you all, bit tired now but will give it a go in the morning when I have re-read your advice and the links you have given.

Thanks again
i know it makes you tired but it isn`t as bad as it sounds Jackie sleep first and tommorow you will do it in five minutes
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Well I seem to have done it, I have internet connection to my PC and my OH's Laptop and we are both able to work at the same time. NOW I have to deal with the security aspect because I am not sure how I did it or if I am secure, so back to the drawing board and see if I can change passwords and the names of my computers to something a bit less expected than PC and Laptop

Thanks to all who helped, I will search for info on security and be back, no doubt, when I find I do not understand.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Well I seem to have done it, I have internet connection to my PC and my OH's Laptop and we are both able to work at the same time. NOW I have to deal with the security aspect because I am not sure how I did it or if I am secure, so back to the drawing board and see if I can change passwords and the names of my computers to something a bit less expected than PC and Laptop

Thanks to all who helped, I will search for info on security and be back, no doubt, when I find I do not understand.
I haven't managed to do my encryption yet - I'm so scared of messing it all up but its really worrying me that anyone nearby could get access to the internet through our connection.

Have you got a router Jackie?
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2005, 02:25 PM

go on to this page

http://www.usr-emea.com/support/s-pr...unkg&prod=9106

on the lefthand side open this side up and follow the instructions

Implementing Wireless Security
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Foxy, yes I do have a router I bought the one Fred advised the U.S. Robotics and once I knew what values to enter everything went without a hitch. My main problem was I had difficulty in understanding which of the computers it was talking about, this was not the router but the MS network setup.

Fred, in your debt again, will take a look and see if it is simple enough for me to understand. Do find that in a lot of cases with computers I manage to do things but have no idea how, just have to accept that if I achieve what I wanted then who am I to wonder how I did it
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Foxy, yes I do have a router I bought the one Fred advised the U.S. Robotics and once I knew what values to enter everything went without a hitch. My main problem was I had difficulty in understanding which of the computers it was talking about, this was not the router but the MS network setup.

Fred, in your debt again, will take a look and see if it is simple enough for me to understand. Do find that in a lot of cases with computers I manage to do things but have no idea how, just have to accept that if I achieve what I wanted then who am I to wonder how I did it
i am sure you can manage i try and do it the simple way not to much technic in it because then it gets complicated even for me not one of these young wizards
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2005, 09:48 PM
As my neighbour has asked if it is us with a U.S. Robotics as he is picking up our signal I now know I must secure the thing but although I have looked at the site as recomended I don't get very far. what does the below mean?

Download the latest drivers for your wireless network card from the manufacturer’s Website. Most 802.11G 54Mbps wireless cards support WPA but it may require a later driver than what was supplied on the Driver CD. Refer to your wireless card technical support for details.

Don't think my PC has a wireless card?
This is the 3rd instruction of 4 and I think I understand the other 3, well I think I do until I try to implement them.

Thanks if you can remove some of the panic.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 12:34 AM
As my neighbour has asked if it is us with a U.S. Robotics as he is picking up our signal I now know I must secure the thing but although I have looked at the site as recomended I don't get very far. what does the below mean?

Download the latest drivers for your wireless network card from the manufacturer’s Website. Most 802.11G 54Mbps wireless cards support WPA but it may require a later driver than what was supplied on the Driver CD. Refer to your wireless card technical support for details.

Don't think my PC has a wireless card?
This is the 3rd instruction of 4 and I think I understand the other 3, well I think I do until I try to implement them.

Thanks if you can remove some of the panic.

I have just been through the same worry Jackie - although thank goodness it is encrypted now so nobody can get our signal - hope you get some help soon cos its scary not knowing what they are using your connection for

Is it a wireless pc that you have or has it got a cable running to it?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 07:36 AM
It is wireless, I'm not bothered by my near neighbour, sure they have enough access to computers without using mine but I do not know how far the signal may go so I do need to put plug in the hole.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 11:25 AM
It is wireless, I'm not bothered by my near neighbour, sure they have enough access to computers without using mine but I do not know how far the signal may go so I do need to put plug in the hole.

I think I read somewhere that my signal travelled the length of a football field so that worried me a little Do you use one of those Usb network adaptors to connect or is there something inside your computer that makes it wireless already?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >