Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
What is windows Vista then - is it to replace XP
Yep and originally it was gonna be called Longhorn!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2005, 03:34 PM
What is windows Vista then - is it to replace XP
Yes Foxy like steve said it will but theres going to be a differance it's going to be 64 bit it's 32 at the moment so it's going to be alot faster than the one your using now.

The thing is as well not all P4'S support it unless it's got Intel EM64T support but AMD 64 processors do.

You can get the 64 bit windows on a free download from Microsoft but it is just a trial for 120 days anyway it's just a bare bones os at the moment no major features on it's just for testing and for you to sample.

If want to read about it go Here

Just got to add can wait this means upgrade time to better cpu and a new os to get to grips with .
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by leo
Yes Foxy like steve said it will but theres going to be a differance it's going to be 64 bit it's 32 at the moment so it's going to be alot faster than the one your using now.

The thing is as well not all P4'S support it unless it's got Intel EM64T support but AMD 64 processors do.

You can get the 64 bit windows on a free download from Microsoft but it is just a trial for 120 days anyway it's just a bare bones os at the moment no major features on it's just for testing and for you to sample.

If want to read about it go Here

Just got to add can wait this means upgrade time to better cpu and a new os to get to grips with .

Thanks Leo Is it worth downloading the 64 bit for 120 days to look at or will I mess my computer up What happens after 120 days do they start charging you or something
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Is it worth downloading the 64 bit for 120 days to look at or will I mess my computer up What happens after 120 days do they start charging you or something
Hi Foxy - you need specific equipment to run it - it will only work with certain processors and chipsets:

Intel: http://www.intel.com/business/bss/pr...ns/desktop.htm
AMD: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...?redir=CPGWV01

Graphics cards
ATI: http://www.ati.com/developer/windowsvista.html
NVIDIA: http://www.nvidia.com/page/technology_vista_home.html

So, probably not!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Is it worth downloading the 64 bit for 120 days to look at or will I mess my computer up
It will mean doing a fresh install Foxy so if you got anothher Hard drive for it to go on and you got the min requirements it's up to you but like i said it's just a bare bones os nothing big on it no e email & no media player theres other stuff thats no it as well but i'd be here all day listing what is not included
Min requirements for your pc for 64 bit windows to run properly
Supported processors: AMD Athlon 64, AMD Opteron, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support

256 MB RAM

1.5 GB available hard-disk space

Super VGA (800x600) or higher resolution video card

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Important: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition cannot be successfully installed on 64-bit Intel Itanium-based systems.

What happens after 120 days do they start charging you or something
No they won't charge you it's free but it's got a timer on it so after your time is up(120 Days) Then it will proberly stop working.

Below are the list of enhancements that it in proves on as you can see the 64 bit windows is capable of supporting alot more and should be alot faster than 32 bit windows (if they get it sorted properly before they release it like most other os's from Microsoft they have been a let down when first released)

Comparison of 64-Bit and 32-bit architectures

Virtual memory
64-Bit 16 terabytes
32-bit 4 GB

Paging file
64-Bit 512 terabytes
32-bit 16 terabytes

Paged pool
64-Bit 128 GB
32-bit 470 MB

Nonpaged pool
64-Bit 128 GB
32-bit 256 MB

System cache
64-Bit 1 terabyte
32-bit 1 GB
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Leo i loaded mine down and it is valid for 1 year
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
Leo i loaded mine down and it is valid for 1 year
Thanks for that Fred it's abit longer than 120 Days as they claim.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by leo
Thanks for that Fred it's abit longer than 120 Days as they claim.
OK leo i have installed it as well very fast but a lot of things not compatable what happens after the year no idea maybe they will charge you for the update
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2005, 01:41 PM
OK leo i have installed it as well very fast but a lot of things not compatable what happens after the year no idea maybe they will charge you for the update
The update wil proberly be all the other bits like the media player etc thats what you'll pay for.

So it might as well be just as well to buy the complete os in the future but keep the DL for messing about with.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-09-2005, 02:03 PM
The version you have is a beta version i.e it'll have loads of bugs in it (knowing MS). The idea is for the beta testers to find out what the bugs are before they sell it for loads of dosh next year - clever aren't they, they get free labour. There aren't that many programs that have been re-written for 64-bit, so no real advantage at the moment. Also, some companies aren't producing 64-bit drivers for their hardware yet

I can see next year being an expensive year if you want to go completely 64-bit
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >