Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2005, 08:32 PM

Is this possible?

My sister got her computer about nearly 4 years ago from PC World and it is Windows ME. She has lots of trouble with it and finds it very confusing (and I do too its not easy like XP) She bought it literally about a month before XP came out and it was quite expensive for what it was (she didn't know that XP was coming out ) What I wondered was if she could have Windows XP put on her computer instead of Windows ME. She says that her computer only has 1ghz whatever that means and seems to think that she won't be able to because of this. What is 1ghz
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-09-2005, 08:44 PM
1GHz is the processor speed.

It is fast enough to run XP.

However, the PC may have other hardware which may not be compatible.

Does the PC have a sticker on it saying something like "Certified for Windows XP" ?

If it is possible to get the make, and model it may be possible to find out from the manufacturer whether it will handle XP.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
My sister got her computer about nearly 4 years ago from PC World and it is Windows ME. She has lots of trouble with it and finds it very confusing (and I do too its not easy like XP) She bought it literally about a month before XP came out and it was quite expensive for what it was (she didn't know that XP was coming out ) What I wondered was if she could have Windows XP put on her computer instead of Windows ME. She says that her computer only has 1ghz whatever that means and seems to think that she won't be able to because of this. What is 1ghz
Foxy i have window xp on a pentium 2 with 450 Mhz 256 Mb. ram worked perfect i am sure it is worth a try the most important is the ram under 125 mb. will proberly break down better is 256 mb. when you say the computer is 4 years old and with 1 ghz it is proberly a pentium 3 it should run without a problem
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by royv
1GHz is the processor speed.

It is fast enough to run XP.

However, the PC may have other hardware which may not be compatible.

Does the PC have a sticker on it saying something like "Certified for Windows XP" ?

If it is possible to get the make, and model it may be possible to find out from the manufacturer whether it will handle XP.

I know its a Packard Bell computer but not sure of the model number. Where would it say the model number have you any idea
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
Foxy i have window xp on a pentium 2 with 450 Mhz 256 Mb. ram worked perfect i am sure it is worth a try the most important is the ram under 125 mb. will proberly break down better is 256 mb. when you say the computer is 4 years old and with 1 ghz it is proberly a pentium 3 it should run without a problem

I think it might be a 256mb ram Fred
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2005, 09:04 PM
I think it might be a 256mb ram Fred
and as i said if it is a pentium 3 with 1 ghz you shouldn`t have any trouble (with a graphic programe mit be a bit slow) but it should work
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-09-2005, 09:07 PM
I know its a Packard Bell computer but not sure of the model number. Where would it say the model number have you any idea
It might be on the front but could be anywhere - try the back, it might be written on the PCs serial number plate.

Minimum PC specification for running XP (as suggested by Microsoft):

• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features) *

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

* 256MB of memory as Fred suggests is probably what you need with today's applications - just depends how many things you want to have opened at the same time.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2005, 09:11 PM
These are the mininum requirements for running xp on your pc

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

So find out what system your sister has and we will be able to tell you
Don't let your sister buy windows from PC World cause she will get ripped off you can get them off e bay cheap enough you just have to make sure that you get the cd key.

Or you can try other sorces just don't go to those rob dogs.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-09-2005, 09:26 PM
The PC may have the following logo on it (or in the manual)

This means that it can be upgraded to XP without any problems.

If it doesn't have that logo, it doesn't necessarily mean it can't be upgraded - need the PC's model name/number to verify with Packard Bell.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by leo
Don't let your sister buy windows from PC World cause she will get ripped off you can get them off e bay cheap enough you just have to make sure that you get the cd key.
You need to tread carefully because a lot of the XP discs on eBay are OEMs (usually Dell ones). Microsoft have recently altered Windows Update in an attempt to crack down on piracy - using Windows Genuine Validation tool, which means that you might not be able to update XP.

For more info see here:http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...displaylang=en
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »