Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
Cheers Roy it has given me the IP address of the network card and the default gatewy. Is this what I am supposed to put into the firewall?
What IP addresses are you getting ?

Is the gateway the same as that for the XP machine (use IPCONFIg /ALL) ?

Hopefully, the IP addresses for both network cards are within the same sequence.

If the server network card has an IP address of 192.168.0.1, put that into the trusted computers zone of the Windows 98 machine's firewall. Put the Windows 98 machine's network card IP address into the trusted computers zone of the XP machine's firewall.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Ah, this is the problem then cos when I open network neighbourhood on the 98 machine, it comes up with nothing. Empty box!

On the XP machine, it comes up with both pc's
Lets face it Roy, I've just b****ered it up haven't I?
The fact that the XP machine can see both is good.
Win98 networking isn't as good.

I'll wait for your IP addresses before the next step.

You have got a shared folder on the XP machine ?
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by royv
What IP addresses are you getting ?

Is the gateway the same as that for the XP machine (use IPCONFIg /ALL) ?

Hopefully, the IP addresses for both network cards are within the same sequence.

If the server network card has an IP address of 192.168.0.1, put that into the trusted computers zone of the Windows 98 machine's firewall. Put the Windows 98 machine's network card IP address into the trusted computers zone of the XP machine's firewall.
I only have the firewall on the XP machine and have put the IP addrress of the 98 machine into that. I can't get a firewall on the 98 machine until I can get it on the internet through the XP internet connection. (hope you know what I mean)

The IP of the XP machine is 192.68.0.1 and the other is 192.168.0.35
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-09-2005, 07:47 PM
The IP of the XP machine is 192.68.0.1 and the other is 192.168.0.35
Sorry, I hope it's a typo and it is 192.168.0.1 and the other is 192.168.0.35 ? If so, that's good - it's in the same range.

What gateway and DNS IP addresses are you getting ?
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Sorry, I hope it's a typo and it is 192.168.0.1 and the other is 192.168.0.35 ? If so, that's good - it's in the same range.

What gateway and DNS IP addresses are you getting ?
Sorry yes it was a Typo.

the gateway says 192.168.0.1 and there isn't a DNS IP in the IP config box
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 07:56 PM
I am going to try and re-install the network neighbourhood thing again on the 98 machine as I think that is the prob. Like i said, the Xp machine is functioning perfectly, its the other one that seems to be having probs as it isn't even recognising itself in the network!
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Sorry yes it was a Typo.

the gateway says 192.168.0.1 and there isn't a DNS IP in the IP config box
If you are talking about winipcfg on the Win98 machine, I believe the gateway setting is correct.

In winipcfg, there is a drop-down arrow next to the first entry. What other options are there ?

I thought that WinXP ICS setup passed all the settings over to the ICS client?
Have you tried the internet yet on the Win98 machine ? What do you get ?
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=royv]If you are talking about winipcfg on the Win98 machine, I believe the gateway setting is correct.

In winipcfg, there is a drop-down arrow next to the first entry. What other options are there ?it comes up with PPP Adapter as the 1st option in the drop down menu. that doesn't have an Ip, but has an adapter address. Then it gives me the network card and it lists Adaptor adress; IP; subnet mask and default gateway

bit confused as I don't know what ICS client is
Have you tried the internet yet on the Win98 machine ? What do you get ?I can't try the internet from the 98 machine as I only have 1 DSL modem which is currently in use on the XP machine
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-09-2005, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=Cumbrian Lass]
If you are talking about winipcfg on the Win98 machine, I believe the gateway setting is correct.

In winipcfg, there is a drop-down arrow next to the first entry. What other options are there ?it comes up with PPP Adapter as the 1st option in the drop down menu. that doesn't have an Ip, but has an adapter address. Then it gives me the network card and it lists Adaptor adress; IP; subnet mask and default gateway

bit confused as I don't know what ICS client is
Have you tried the internet yet on the Win98 machine ? What do you get ?I can't try the internet from the 98 machine as I only have 1 DSL modem which is currently in use on the XP machine
When you select the network card one, click on the More Info button. This should give you one of the DNS server addresses. If you click the button marked ... next to it, it should give you another IP address. These should be the same as what you get on the XP machine when you do IPCONFIG /ALL.

> bit confused as I don't know what ICS client is - sorry, ICS = internet connection sharing. The XP machine is the server or host and the Win98 machine the client.

> I can't try the internet from the 98 machine as I only have 1 DSL modem which is currently in use on the XP machine - If ICS is setup OK, you will be accessing the internet through the WinXP machine. Only one way of finding out
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 08:26 PM
oh dear, I'm really confused now. Should I be setting the modem up on the 98 machine then?

Also, how do I check if the ICS is set-up at all? (on XP machine)
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >