Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Gosh Ian i'm impressed I love it when you boys talk techie

When I Did this with an older computer I used an emergency boot disk along with the restore CD to start it back up again, does this just do the same thing?
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Basically yes it does, however it is far more complicated with XP, I have been told for XP there are so many files it needs that you must put the files onto a CD.

Ian
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Still don't know what the big deal is about formatting a hard drive Fred I am aware that some things can be left behind but generally the case is that everything will be restored back to factory settings so long as you have the reinstalation disks. I got hit by rogue diallers and HAD to format my hard drive to get rid of them and it did get rid of them...I have formatted hard drives 100's of times on different PC's and each time it has been fine, I don't see that it is such a mistery I accept that I may be hugely wrong though but it has worked for me each and everytime

Foxy I take it you couldn't find the original user manuals and disks for this PC to instruct you what you needed to do??? and wondering if you were able to look up the specifications of the computer to see if it is indeed compatible with BB.

I have the exact same modem as you apart from it being different in colour and I haven't found any trouble with it except for when it was freshly installed the adsl light flickerd from time to time and I couldn't connect but 9 times out of 10 it is fine.

Maybe someone knows of a BB company who will come out to install it for her?? The hardest thing I found was that because my PC is upstairs and the main telephone point is downstairs I couldn't directly plug into that so it was a bit confusing with the filters etc and getting it hooked up right, the modem part was the easy bit for me...It was the same when I installed my mum's BB at her house too.

Hope something works out for ya Fox...

Leaving this thread alone now so as not to complicate things further for poor Foxy (sorry you are having such a hard time with the computer )
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6