View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi Elaine, welcome to another nightmare I'm having here I've been sitting on the sofa stuffing my face thinking it's getting on with installing the printer software, but no, McAffee wanted to ask me a question, so it was doing nothing! There I was thinking I did my bit this morning, now I'm spending half my evening on it!

I have looked in programmes, can't see Word, then went into Accessories and found Wordpad and thought that'll do for Dave! Lol!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 07:31 PM
have you checked all the discs, mine came with office you see,All the puters I have ever had it has come with the windows system

Elaine xx

hate word pad, no spell check or anything
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 07:34 PM
I got two discs with it, but I haven't looked at those yet coz of course, it's a little netbook with no dvd thingy in it, but that'll be here tomorrow! Another day on the puter tomorrow then I can see it coming

Oooooh yes, just looked at them and one is a recovery disc and the other one says system software media and that sounds encouraging?!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I got two discs with it, but I haven't looked at those yet coz of course, it's a little netbook with no dvd thingy in it, but that'll be here tomorrow! Another day on the puter tomorrow then I can see it coming

Oooooh yes, just looked at them and one is a recovery disc and the other one says system software media and that sounds encouraging?!
well go on then stick it in , oh has it got a dvd drive?
Elaine xx
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-07-2009, 07:43 PM
http://www.openoffice.org/
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
well go on then stick it in , oh has it got a dvd drive?
Elaine xx
Noooooooo, that bit's coming tomorrow!!! It's only a 10" neat little trendy netbook, and the more I'm using it, the more I want it, so I might not even have to worry about that Word the way things are going, coz Dave won't be getting anywhere near it!!!! xxxx

Thanks Rich, I knew there was an Office programme for free somewhere!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Noooooooo, that bit's coming tomorrow!!! It's only a 10" neat little trendy netbook, and the more I'm using it, the more I want it, so I might not even have to worry about that Word the way things are going, coz Dave won't be getting anywhere near it!!!! xxxx

Thanks Rich, I knew there was an Office programme for free somewhere!
Rich beat me to it
Elaine xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Here's another possibility and it's for the exact keys you describe..

you need to click on the EN bottom on the right corner of the screen and select english (uk). TO make this setting all the time right click on EN and go in to settings default language and set to uk english.

xx
That one worked Jackie! Job done! Thanks and Carole.

I just installed a free trial of Office Pro 2007 (God knows how much it will be in 90 days to purchase - I can't believe the price of this stuff on Ms website!!! ). Anyways, it has automatic correction of words and grammar, so Dave will be fine.

I also remembered I have a disc for my Works Suite on my desktop, so I'm gonna put that on the netbook tomorrow so that he has proper Word. Don't they do the old "Word" now then, is it all Office now?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-07-2009, 04:20 PM
If you're comfortable using 'old' word then you're probably better off trying OpenOffice.org rather than the newest MS Office which has an entirely new interface by all accounts.

It makes me chortle that a lot of people cite retraining costs as an issue blocking migration to applications other than Micro$ofts. But in this case especially, users should be given more credit. In fact they'd probably have an EASIER time geting used to OO.o rather than that overpriced & over fancy offering...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks rich. Now you got me thinking about that, so I'm now downloading O.O.o on my pc, show it to Dave, if he likes it and it HAS a spellchecker (that's the most important part of it for him, sadly!) then I'll uninstall the Ms I've put on his netbook and go for that one then Good job I know what I'm doing on here (ish) isn't it!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >