Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluebunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Puppy food aggression

Whenever Winston has food if any other dog goes near him he growls and snaps,He lets me near his food and take chews from him but hes very posseive with other dogs,He does it to my two,But at puppy training tonight he stole a bag of biscutes when one of the pups went near him he growled and went for it How can i stop him from doing it?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi there.

I haven't experience of pups doing this, but I have with rescue dogs. What I did was to help the dog understand that actually having the others around is a good thing. So. for example, I would only ever give treats if by my dogs were present.

At first I would sit on the floor and have one dog on either side of me, giving them each a treat in turn. Gradually (over a period of couple of weeks) I would get them a wee bit closer. If necessary, you can hand feed the dogs and pup their dinner this way (if you don't want to give too many treats).

Then with feeding I would make sure that both dogs knew that they weren't allowed to approach the other dog's bowl until I said so (when they had finished and moved away). At first I would stand in the middle of the kitchen with one of them at each end. over time I would wonder around and now I could leave them to it. They will never willing share from a bowl, but they don't feel the need to fend each other off now.