View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 01:15 PM
oh Jackie, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you get your treatment soon *hugs*

I too have had rubbish treatment in hospital and the only thing that made them sit up and take notice was calling the doctor involved incompetent and telling them I would be at the door of the local press the moment I got out.
Within an hour I had my consultant back from her break and sorting the ward doc out.
LittleLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by jackiew View Post
sorry it is a bit long, want advice at the end

well as some of you know i have a condition called IBH (intercranial benign hypertension) Pressure in my head,
well over the last week it has been getting really bad,saturday was so bad i could not hardly see had not eaten for 3 days and was walking like i had had 20 pints of strong beer, so off we go to A&E, booked in at 8AM saw the triage nurse who thought i was making a fuss over nothing!!!
made me sit in the waiting room till 10.40AM sweating, being sick and almost passing out!!
got called through to the bays and sat on a chair, when the doctor came to see me i almost passed out so they finally got me a bed to lay on, after explaining to the doctor what i have and what has been going on she admitted me and got me a bed on the medical assessment ward, we got to the ward and they were lovely, two nice doctors came and spoke to me and agreed i was very poorly and needed a lumber puncture under xray conditions (need them under xray conditions as i have had so many and my back is a bit messed up from them) then they gave me some morphine and i feel asleep, hubby went home to get me some night clothes and washstuff
could not faul the staff on this ward they were lovely, put me in a quiet bay with only one other person, so there was no noise, and also kept all the lights out cos of my eyes, really thoughtful nice staff.
then another doctor came and said they do not do LP's under xray conditons in the hospital and why do i need them, i explained why and what my neurologist had said and he moaned and said well you will have a long wait cos you will have to be transferred to the Walton Centre
i didnt mind the wait as it is the only way to get into the Walton centre, they do not have a A&E as such.
so i fell asleep again, hubby came and went and asleep i was again
Then at 11.30PM i was woken to say they were moving me to a ward, so off i go, got to the ward i was put in corner and all the lights were off as it was late, the nurse came and took my blood pressure and i went to sleep, only to be woken by someone shouting!! it really hurt my head and i started crying, the nurse tutted at me and went about her duties, now i was burning up and needed a fan, they got me one but it didnt work very well, i told the nurse and she said oh just make do!!
well 6AM came and OMG!! felt like i was in hell, they nurses put all the lights on, so i shut my curtains, then they started to talk to my ward companions (elderly ladies) now nothing against elderly ladies but their hearing is abit low so all the nurses were shouting!!! well i was in tears, and the nurse opened my curtains and said "whats up with you??" i asked her to close the curtains and she said well it is daytime, when i asked her if she knew of my condition she replyed "yes you have a headache"
well that was it, i rang my hubby and told him to get me out of their, he rang and complained and they said they would get me a pair of earplugs and face mask
well i left the hospital very ill yesterday and am now at home awaiting to go into the Walton centre for my LP under xray conditions
am still really poorly but feel i cannot let this drop
we complained to the hospital who were not interested

do any of you know of an independant body that i can complain too as i am not gonna let it go, not this time (this is the 2nd time they have treated me this way over my condition)
Hi JackieW

The PAL service is the one I would recommend. I don't know why they say they cannot help you, may be they didn't understand what it was that you wanted changing and what it was that you now want doing I say this because I am unsure of the answer to these questions.

Just for future reference it is often easy to make a complaint to the nurse in charge at the there-and-then-stage if you are unhappy about any persons conduct or your overall care - I am unclear if you already did this . I know as a nation we tend to be very poor at complaining but most health professionals I know would rather people make a complaint through the proper lines and give them opportunity to improve their care of you. As you have said you can make complaints retrospectively by writing to the cheif execuive which I am glad you have done.

I am sorry to hear that you are still feeling poorly, but am glad for you that you can be at home. Afterall there's no place like home and you carry less risk of picking up infection etc. I do however appreciate the seriousness of your condition and would like to say that if your hearing, speech, eyesight is affected you should get yourself back there as an emergency blue lights an all In the meantime it would probably be prudent to touch base with your own GP and follow their advice above any added here (including my own).

I hope your condition resolves and wonder if they have ever considered an ICP shunt to remove the hydrocephalus by shunting the fluid from brain to your abdomen? It carries its own risks but you and your doctors should do the risk:benefit analysis.

Either way I hope you get to feel better soon

L.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Thank you Miss E
i think the way they treat some people these days is terrible
i told them i was gonna go to the press also and i will if i do not get anything from the letter i have written

Littlelady all i needed was somewhere quiet with the lights out, the MAU managed this and it is one of the biggest wards in the hospital, but the ward they put me on would not do this for me and told me i could not have my surtains shut as it was daytime, and one of the nurses kept saying all i had was headache!!! i wish that was ALL i had
the ward sister said they dont have single rooms, but they did not understand that i was was not asking for a private room, just a quiet sideward with no noise or lights, surely they must have other patients with conditons like mine, do they just suffer it too
PALS said they could not override what the ward had said, they kept telling me to wait till the ward rounds to see the medical doctor but i couldnt stand another minute in there with the nosie and lights on
my balance is affected and my eyesight but i wont be going back there ever again, am awaiting a call from my own doctor and the Walton centre to see what can be done for me asap
i am waiting to have a shunt fitted, but as you may know these things take time and in the mean time the only thing that works are LP's under xray conditions which the hospital say they are unable to carry out, why i dont know
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 02:15 PM
just had a call from the MS nurse at the Walton Centre
they are gonna sort out about admitting me tomorrow, got to ring them at 11am
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Jackie, I hope you get your pressure sorted out soon. I've suffered with high intracranial pressure because of a brain tumour and I know how bad it is. I've only had one lumber puncture (had a spinal drain in for 7 days).

I can understand how you must have felt to be so unthinkingly treated. I've been in hospital a lot and some of the nurses and doctors I've been treated by seem to have no empathy at all.

I've complained twice (in 7 years of hospital treatment) and never got an apology or anything. I didn't take it further at the time because I was so poorly. It's hard to deal with things like that when you feel like you're head's about to split open!

Sending you hugs x
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Thank you Sarah
and sorry to hear you have had same as me, not nice at all is it
the nurses and doctors seem to think it is just a bad headache, but is so much more than that

i have had 7 LP's to date and awaiting a date for a shunt to be fitted, i now hope this is sooner rather than later as i cannot stand this much longer
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I had loads of different shunts. I had mine removed a couple of years ago because the pressure sorted itself out.

You'll feel much better once they put it in. It's amazing how quickly it works x
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 04:21 PM
if you don't get any where hun get in touch with your local MP i am sure they can sort it quickly and get you an appolagy. sorry you have been throu this hun and still feel ****, hugs to and hope you get in tommorrow xxxx
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 05:45 PM
sorry you are feeling so bad, hugs to you and i hope they sort it all out soon x
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh hun, I hope they can get you in for your lumber puncture soon and you are feeling better Sorry that you were treated so badly in hospital, its really not on, I hope you can get the complaint sorted, as no-one should have to put up with that.... though having seen how my Dad was treated after coming out of ICU and into a normal ward I know you are not alone (((((BIG GENTLE HUGS)))) for a speedy recovery
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »