Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Perhaps also if the owner is alone with a baby she cannot afford a behaviourist or find someone to look after the child while she does training with the dog.
Without wishing to get into another kind of debate (which this comment really is not about starting) but perhaps in this particular case, the owner needs to decide between the two?

Assuming the dog really does not get walked, perhaps the dog should be given to an owner that has the time to look after them?

I know its a whole lot easier said than done!!!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
Without wishing to get into another kind of debate (which this comment really is not about starting) but perhaps in this particular case, the owner needs to decide between the two?

Assuming the dog really does not get walked, perhaps the dog should be given to an owner that has the time to look after them?

I know its a whole lot easier said than done!!!
Do you apply the same thinking to those with disabilities too then?
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Somehow i knew i would regret posting that, or someone would try and make me regrest

NO. I do not apply this to those with disabilities.

My post said that in this particular case perhaps the dog should be given to someone with time to look after it

Remember, this is a dog that is aggresive, locked up inside all day, never walked, and in the company of a 5 month old, soon to be mobile child.

This does not sound like the ideal situation to me IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE

Please do not try and twist my words
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I didn't twist your words at all. I asked a question based on what you had stated. I asked because I can't see a difference, in some cases.

LS had quite rightly pointed out that some people are not best placed to do always do the 'best thing'. Your replied, in direct response to that comment (and indeed quoting it) I must stress, that in which case, perhaps the best thing to do was to give up the dog, as though not being able to do the 'best' thing somehow precludes anyone from owning a dog. Something which I happen to strongly disagree with. Hence I quizzed you on it further. You will find absolutely no twisting of your words. At least not deliberately.
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-10-2006, 12:31 PM
I had read LS's post as referring specifically to this example, and my reply was specifically related to this example - single mother, aggresive dog that doesnt leave the house, and 5 month old child in the equation

In this case, the best thing to do is to solve the issues with the aggresive dog, so that the baby is not at risk.

LS pointed out maybe being alone with a child she may not be able to afford a solution.

My reply is simply if a child is at risk, and a solution cannot be afforded, then for the childs safety the dog should be given up.

That is all i meant with my reply - it was not intended to sound like a sweeping generalisation, so apologies if it did
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Well she would have to find someone to look after the baby if she was accepted on Dog Borstal so methinks that having someone to mind the baby while she trains or walks the dog should not be the issue
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well she would have to find someone to look after the baby if she was accepted on Dog Borstal so methinks that having someone to mind the baby while she trains or walks the dog should not be the issue
Good point
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2006, 12:50 PM
so apologies if it did
None needed to me. I'm starting to think I just woke up a grumpy bear today, anyway. I shall go play with the dog!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 01:18 PM
All excellent points. I'm only guessing but did she have the dog first? If this is the only chance for the dog I hope she does get accepted (and that the team pay for childcare ) and that something is sorted out for all concerned.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Its people like this i just do not understand - if you have an agressive dog, you surely have a public duty to get it sorted! Why should we be at risk because you cant be bothered to fix it yourself?

Apologies for that little rant, but it makes me so angry to think there are some real problem dogs with owners who seem incapable of thinking how to stop it
I agree with AJL's concerns. Too many people neglect their dogs.

Sometimes if you love something you have to let it go for it's own good - and if the woman is not capable of finding out how to resolve or make better the situation (which is her duty) then I don't think she is fit to own the dog.

Far too many people expect everything to be done for them, and they don't try to research or look into things properly. Clearly she has internet access and there are thousands of web communities out there where you could join and ask away. There are thousands of articles and guides out there that she should be reading, which could point out that, hey, there's a serious problem you have there - and you need to seek professional help.

I have seen so many people with that lax attitude and frankly, it annoys me. People owe it to their pets to do everything they can for them, and not just 'leave it' to get better itself. If they are not capable of looking after the animals they should not own them. Many of them don't research what dog ownership entails to begin with and that annoys me greatly too. Of course some peoples circumstances change, but if they are forseeable situations (such as having children) then they really should have been thought about first. Things to think about BEFORE getting a dog.

Personally I think there should be a test for anyone wishing to own a dog - far too many suffer because of stupid people, and if a test helps show that the owner knows at least the basics, there will be a lot more happier (and healthier) dogs because of it.

*rant over!*

And before people ask, we got on the show with a dog we treated like a child, couldnt recall, and was a general scavenger in the house. We got lucky and were 'spotted' on clapham common as our pug tried to play football..
Has the show been aired yet? If not when will it be shown?
Page 14 of 45 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »