Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 05:44 PM

Operation Secret Garden - underway

Well remember I said I was going to take over the "waste ground" for want of a better word next to my house well today I popped into the local garden centre, for something and came out with seeds (I'm calling the waste ground the secret garden)
I figure this will be a quicker and easier and cheaper was of bringing the ground to life at least for the first year I spent about £12 and got a couple of free packs of seeds too buy two packs and get certain marked packs free.

So this is what we have so far

3 packs of Flanders Poppies you know those lovely scarlet/red poppies that grow in cornfields (remind you of poppy day) so there are approx 2000 seeds in each pack
Burgundy Frills a alternative poppy (with red frilled edges and a yellow eye in the centre) approx 100 seeds in that pack
Wallflowers (to flower next year ) and they are fragrant as you all know appox in that pack
Linum (look like daisy's) colours are crimson, white, salmon approx 130 seeds in that pack.
Pack of Wild Flower mix (meant to encourage wildlife such as butterflies bees etc) approx 1000 in that pack
Corn Marigolds. Bright yellow Chrysanthemums. approx 450 seeds in that pack.
A pack of Mixed Flowers (Tall varieties) between 2-3ft. aPROX 2500 seeds in
that pack.
The two free packs are
Poppies, Double Tangerine Gem (bright orange) approx100
Godetia Shamini (semi double flowers of deep rose with soft pink edges) approx 250 seeds.

My plan is to mix all the seeds togther seperate them into 4 or 5 groups so I can sow them throughtout the spring. Therefore extending the flowering in the summer. I am going to mix them with compost/sand and sew them that way just speading over the area what comes up comes up but they are mostly self seeding (hoping they take off themselves)

I have had a word with a lady who looks after the council greenery etc and asked her for another tree and for hr chaps to come and dig it over first and if they have any plants going spare we can have and for them to plant them shrubs etc. She is coming to have a word next week.
So maybe maybe.

I mean whats the worst that could happen a few flowers grow making the world a nicer place.

Karen
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2006, 06:45 PM
It sounds lovely. The seeds you've chosen all sound just right for that sort of ground, especially the poppies.

If you have a Wilkinsons near you they've got 2 for the price of 1 on most of their seeds so you can pick up some real bargains. Things that will self seed so you can have flowers year after year would save you a lot of work. What about foxgloves, buddleias, valerians, california poppies, cornflowers and nigellas?

I know you're spending your own money on this so I guess you don't want to go overboard but you could also put down a few daffodil bulbs in autumn. Also, I know it's illegal to take plants from the wild but it might be legal to collect seed (not sure though).
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Wonderful Kaz - it's a lovely idea - what a nice person you are.......
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by minda
It sounds lovely. The seeds you've chosen all sound just right for that sort of ground, especially the poppies.

If you have a Wilkinsons near you they've got 2 for the price of 1 on most of their seeds so you can pick up some real bargains. Things that will self seed so you can have flowers year after year would save you a lot of work. What about foxgloves, buddleias, valerians, california poppies, cornflowers and nigellas?

I know you're spending your own money on this so I guess you don't want to go overboard but you could also put down a few daffodil bulbs in autumn. Also, I know it's illegal to take plants from the wild but it might be legal to collect seed (not sure though).
Oh ta for that yes there's a wilkinsons by me (well closeish) and I was planning on putting dafs down in the autmn you can get a decent sized bag for next to nothing can't you,
I've taken some cuttings from my own lavender so will plant those and brought a couple of cheap laverta's couple of quid each from homebase.
I am going at the weekend to a good garden centre but the old fashioned sort (mostly used by traders these days) you have too root about a bit and remove the weeds from the plants but good prices. I want to see though what the council will provide first? if anything if they just provide the tree or two and the man power to dig it over first I won;t mind.

Karen
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Wallflowers in particular Kazz are perfect cause they self seed everywhere!

Congratulations Karen on transforming wasteground-piccys in summer please!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Ta Steve Yes I thought that about wall flowers.

I will take some pictures Karen
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 08:40 PM
What a beautiful thing to do - should look fantastic later on - well done you
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks The World is a beautiful place sometimes though maybe we need to give nature a hand and take a minute to stp and look.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-03-2006, 05:38 AM
What a splendid thing to do I hope your secret garden thrives and that you are repaid by its beauty and the pleasure of seeing the insects and birds that will be attracted to it

ETA - Don't forget to take some 'before' photographs, if you have not already done so
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 06:13 PM
No I've taken no pictures yet but I will. Then I'lltake some more hopefull in full flower Thanks for all the support everyone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >