Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 11:32 AM

Prostate problems

I am after a bit of general info just out of curiosity because I am a bit confused.

On Saturday I awoke to find my utility room looking as though someone had been massacred with a huge pool of blood on the floor but none of the dogs having anything obvious wrong with them so when I let them out I went out to to keep a close eye. It turned out Angel was peeing large amounts of blood.

As soon as they opened I booked Angel into to the vets. The vet said he thinks it is a prostate problem rather than a water infection as he is not showing the classic sign's of having a water infection (peeing more frequently, discomfort when peeing, straining to pee etc) and has a normal temp and a slightly enlarged prostate but didn't really give any more info than that other than if it it doesn't correct with antibiotics & anti-inflamatories the next step would be water sample and x-rays.

On googling prostate problems in dogs all the symptoms of a prostate problem generally seem to be the same as those for a water infection and he is not displaying those symptoms so I'm curious as to why his first reaction would be to jump to prostate problem rather than water infection when from what I can read he doesn't really have the classic symptoms of either?

His medication seems to be doing the trick so I'm not too worried just interested if anyone could shed some light.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
I am after a bit of general info just out of curiosity because I am a bit confused.

On Saturday I awoke to find my utility room looking as though someone had been massacred with a huge pool of blood on the floor but none of the dogs having anything obvious wrong with them so when I let them out I went out to to keep a close eye. It turned out Angel was peeing large amounts of blood.

As soon as they opened I booked Angel into to the vets. The vet said he thinks it is a prostate problem rather than a water infection as he is not showing the classic sign's of having a water infection (peeing more frequently, discomfort when peeing, straining to pee etc) and has a normal temp and a slightly enlarged prostate but didn't really give any more info than that other than if it it doesn't correct with antibiotics & anti-inflamatories the next step would be water sample and x-rays.

On googling prostate problems in dogs all the symptoms of a prostate problem generally seem to be the same as those for a water infection and he is not displaying those symptoms so I'm curious as to why his first reaction would be to jump to prostate problem rather than water infection when from what I can read he doesn't really have the classic symptoms of either?

His medication seems to be doing the trick so I'm not too worried just interested if anyone could shed some light.
Mmm, you can feel an enlarged prostate, not sure why there is a need for x rays. If he is sure its that, you could use the suprelorin implant, its exactly for that type of thing without the need for castration. (Im sure he will mention that!! )

Water sample is a sinch. You can see the blood in it anyway, and the other testing they can do there and then.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks for answering Dawn.

Forgive me for sounding a bit thick, but if the Suprelorin implant helps with such an issue it would lead me to believe that a prostate problem is hormone related as opposed to being down to infection? If that is the case then surely antibiotics would be useless?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 08:39 PM
hmmm.... so they havnt checked his urine?

the other product virbac make(the tablets,cant remember the name) are indicated in prostrate probs... and as said can be felt but sometimes u/s is helpfull too... dogs can get prostititis and that can be treated as they have..anti inflams and abs... poor boy and u!

also the rads may be for a procedure where they blow air into the bladder and take pics...they fart through their willy after!
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 11:14 PM
No Tupacs they haven't tested his urine he just put him on antibiotics and anti-inflamatories and said to take in a water sample in a weeks time if the meds don't clear it up and they may take an x-ray.

I have done a bit more googling and I think as you mention prostititis may be what the vet is suggesting it could be though he didn't use any specific term. From what I can gather if it is that is is a life long issue and thus he could keep getting re-occuring issues from it getting more severe with time? I also see that neutering (or equivalent as pointed out by Dawn) could help yet he made no mention of this which I find strange since so many vets are so keen to push the issue. He did however try and talk me out of my decision to stop vaccinating him now he is a senior citizen.

*dissapears to google virbac*
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hmmm.... so they havnt checked his urine?

the other product virbac make(the tablets,cant remember the name) are indicated in prostrate probs... and as said can be felt but sometimes u/s is helpfull too... dogs can get prostititis and that can be treated as they have..anti inflams and abs... poor boy and u!

also the rads may be for a procedure where they blow air into the bladder and take pics...they fart through their willy after!
Ypozane? Will bear that one in mind.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Thanks for answering Dawn.

Forgive me for sounding a bit thick, but if the Suprelorin implant helps with such an issue it would lead me to believe that a prostate problem is hormone related as opposed to being down to infection? If that is the case then surely antibiotics would be useless?
Well I would imagine so yes. But of course very occasionally they can have other problems there.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2012, 09:00 AM
My friend Dobe went through the whole peeing blood thing poor chap lots of antib's later he was castrated and is now a super happy chap (it had a miraculous effect on him from a disposition point of view as well going from a scaredy cat wouldnt say boo to a goose to an altogether happier more socially acceptable dog - acceptable to other dogs I mean)