Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Raw feeding and coat patterns?

I switched Darcey over immediately from dry food to raw when she came home, she's taken to it well, she isn't as hyper, she's lost a bit of weight, her coat has got softer and less brittle and no upset tums.

I have noticed as well that she seems to be developing more white areas on her coat and her her spots in the 'dark' area are becoming more prominent.

Has anyone ever noticed changes in coat pattern when they changed to raw?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 10:47 AM
No. But my dogs` coats change according to the seasons and the summer coats are coming in now.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Pereg is black and tan and there was always a very clearly delineated border between the two - the black going from the back of her neck, over her "saddle" and along the top of her tail.

Over the last few months the tan has been gradually in encroaching on the black - there is still an edge to the border but it is not so clear and the black is getting more and more speckled with the tan, the only "solid" black now being along her spine.

It is definitely not a change in colour due to moulting [she seems to shed non-stop] and I had queried it when she went for her vet check up and bloods as to whether it was due to her medication, which they thought it might be. It did not occur to either them or to me that it might be due to the change to feeding her raw.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I'm curious when you feed a raw diet. Does that mean that you dont add things like salmon oil to the raw diet? I feed the fish4dogs salmon oil every day to my dogs and they have a fab coat condition because of it. When you feed raw does this mean that you feed raw fish or raw meat fat to deliver what is necessary for beautiful coat. You're obviously doing something right as you have noticed the improved coat condition which sounds lovely......just curious.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I only feed 'extras' when I'm giving them a veggie mix with their food, which is usually turmeric and ACV. They only have veggies once a week at most.
I do feed raw fish occasionally. but they mostly live on chicken and tripe with the odd bit of beef, pork and fish.

It could be down to her summer coat coming in, but the Dals pretty much shed continuously and I've have not noticed Cooper having a summer and winter coat, he's been fed raw from an early age though.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I've just come back from doing a boot camp and turmeric was recommended for human diets too but I was too knackered to remember why??!!!!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, I use it with my horses as well
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Luna changes color when she sheds from winter to summer coat. But I didn't see any changes back when I switched her over on raw
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:50 PM
pics please any excuse
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2012, 12:58 PM
There was something on CH4 a few months ago which had people drink a turmeric concoction for cyriosis (sorry about the spelling), tried to get OH to do it but he said it was disgusting.
Might be something in the anti-inflammatory thing then....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >