Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Considering Rabbits again..

Well, I kept rabbits and g-pigs for years as showing fancies was my hobby..I liked their general "take it in your stride" take on life, and equally balananced with the odd psyco bun which would try to kill me But a lot got killed in a fox attack, and the remaining handful just..well; as time tends to do, it made them get old and they subsequently passed away. Now I burnt all the hutches as I vowed "No more animals" So theres not a trace of them left.
But this morning..when tinkering in the garden (as im still signed off sixthform by the doctors) i really did think back to how nice it was having a nice few faces to say hello when you were out there. The lawns a lot smaller now..and the gardens very "manicured", but theres enough to fit a good sized 7/8 by 3/4ft roon on there. And I've really been considering knocking something up and looking for a pair of rabbits, nice pair of does I think. I know morally "rescue" but I'd prefer to go down the breeder route; everyone I once sourced mine off are no longer in rabbits anymore as every brought in animal was some years ago now, so would anyone know where to begin my search for a nice pair?
It's so long ago I started with mine, and i remember my late father was the one to set me up with them as a child. However I have no interest in showing or breeding, purely for some new friendly faces to be bobbing about in the summer (then for me to winge about in the winter).
I think I'd be looking for a nice smart pair of English rabbits, or maybe go for a pair of docile Mini lops (purely because these were some of the breeds i had, and i have a soft spot for spotty rabbits!).
Anyone any suggestions?
I could go down the root of sourcing via my local petstore; he's a decent sort..not the peddler type, old family business and they breed most of the stock they sell..but i thought I'd ask on the ever useful dogsey just incase!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Would you like a nice black and tan Belgian Hare buck?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:06 PM
We sell rabbits where I work, so I have had a lot of experience with a lot of individuals over the years. I have to say the ones that have been bred by families and have had kids handling them are far more tame than those bred by a couple of breeders we use.

In terms of breeds, Rex's have in my experience been most consistent in regard to temperament. We haven't had a baby Rex come through our doors that wasn't a sweetheart. Likewise with Dutch rabbits. Some say they have a reputation for being moody, but I have definitely NOT found that to be the case.

The most skitty rabbits we tend to have in are the Dwarf lops. They are very popular rabbits (cute looks) and that tends to lead them to being over bred.

So, if I had to pick breeds I would go for a Rex or Dutch, then a Lionhead. All Lionheads we have dealt with have been sweethearts, too.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Coventry Rabbit Club

K. Baker, Tel: 02476 659058

Give them a try?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:11 PM
We have a pair of dwarf lops.We assume they are girlies as they were from the same litter and have happily lived together for the last 6 years. I hate to think what the other one would do if one died....

Fudge thinks they are wonderful and spends hours herding them up by running round and round their pen. They just hop about, in and out of the extension or upstairs not at all bothered.

I know what you mean Luke. I have said no more bunnies when we finally lose them but there will definately be something missing when they go......
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for that Dawn I think i'll get on the blower tomorrow afternoon, and I couldn't possibly take your boy away..i think he'd beat my cats too much if they tried stalking him!
I must confess I have found the Dwarf lops to be quite sweet..independant but sweet, I like rex's..and it's worse cause they come in the beloved "spotty"ness, but I think I'll end up with a pair of English as every one i've had previously has been mad as a march hair, and a comedian in it's own rights!
And Rachel, don't say never..it doesn't last long! The first summer without them comes around and it's odd not seeing anyone hopping about the lawn, and having piles of dandelion leaves, and a lawn which isn't all patchy with different colours and holes!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2009, 04:40 PM
and I couldn't possibly take your boy away
Where is your sense of adventure?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Where is your sense of adventure?
I lost it when Ralph entered my life
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Best of luck with your search.

Best rabbits I have had over the years, were a black lop eared.
Giant Flemish
and Harlaquins............one of which I have now, and she is a real sweatpea

Hope you find your pair xxxxxx