Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-03-2005, 11:05 AM

Haltis

I was going to hijack the thread about choke chains, but thought better of it. (Where's one of them angel emoticons when you need one? )

Anyway, what's the general opinion of haltis please? My mum got one to try to dissuade Jake from pulling. He's OK except for at the beginning of a walk, when he's all excited! Obviously.

We don't bother with anything but a bog standard collar and verbal correction but my mum's obviously concerned about getting pulled over by our great big lump.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2005, 11:09 AM
I have used a halti on Star and it works but I prefer the dogmatic which is leather and does not rub like the halti.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Rich,

I think Haltis are great! I don't rely on mine, but use it as a support for training, so when walking with a halti I also ask him to heel etc. There's also the Gentle Leader which is better still, and a new one which is supposed to be an improvement on both the Halti and the Gentle Leader, called a Canny Collar. I'm interested in getting one of these as the lead part attaches at the back of the head/neck, rather than under the chin, which ends up with the dog stepping over the lead and getting a bit tangled. It's also supposed to be more effective.

Hope this helps

Becs
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi
I use a halti on Blue. I did use a harness for a while but he snapped the buckle anyway I've never looked back. He pulls really badly on a normal collar and lead and would have me off my feet! wonderfull inventions!!!!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 11:14 AM
perhaps i should get 4 small ones .......for terrible quads..
Mr.Spock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2005, 11:32 AM
The haltis are great when used properly. IMO every dog should learn how to walk on a lead and collar (or harness) and the Halti should only be used as a training aid...ie. a walk that needs to be done instead of used as training time with lead/collar. I feel that they are a tool and not a solution.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Having 4 Alaskan Malamutes, and trying to walk them on my own,is no easy task, Haltis were a god send, I used half check collars on my dogs (dont like full checks at all) and the haltis, even if they see a squirrel I can still control them (this is a little tricky ) before Haltis I would be dragged off into the woods never to be seen again

Mo
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 12:43 PM
ROFL Mo, I know what you mean.

I use the figure of eight halti's, the only downside is the dogs can only be led from the left.
Storm hates them, she does her rendition of 'Swan Lake' everytime she wears it.
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I too have a halti and yes they are great BUT i made the mistake of buying a bloody red one which looks rather silly and i think thats why every time i walk towards sasha with it she runs off it then takes me half an hour to try and work out how to put it on lol

But i have to admit each time i have used it she doesnt pull half as much as on her normal lead.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
Hi Rich,

I new one which is supposed to be an improvement on both the Halti and the Gentle Leader, called a Canny Collar. I'm interested in getting one of these as the lead part attaches at the back of the head/neck, rather than under the chin, which ends up with the dog stepping over the lead and getting a bit tangled. It's also supposed to be more effective.

Becs

HI

I actually trialed this Canny collar for them on my staffie NOT SUCCESSFUL - it was better than a halti which Bruno can get off fairly easily by chewing it. But I found it wasnt very strong so I didnt feel that I had bruno under control. It is better that it attaches around the neck/head as this way you can attach it on to his collar or harness too - I havent seen the actual version though as I had the prototype which I suggested they made stronger !!!
I have had to revert back to a harness as no matter what we have tried Bruno still pulls the life out of me and with anything other than an harness I dont feel that he is secure !!!
dani
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >