View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I'd suggest working trials as that's the closest you can get in the UK to doing the same job with your dog as a police handler.

Obedience, nosework and tracking or manwork are involved.

I train for and have competed in UK working trials at a lower level of CD, still have to do more training and progress.

People are training with a greater understanding now and trainers who use clicker etc are winning championships
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 07:55 PM
As others have said you really need to be a police dog handler with many years experience/competence before becoming a trainer. One or two forces have recently recruited trainers from outside of the police but this is a rare occurrence, and the people involved have been involved in Schutzhund and Working Trials and the like for many years.

My ex is a police dog trainer and he was a handler for 15 years before a trainer's vacancy came up. They are few and far between I am afraid.

Oh, and you also need to have completed (as a bare minimum) the two years probation stipulated by each force before applying to become a handler, but as there are very few vacancies for dog handlers the wait could be a very long one.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi all, not far from where i live there is a training school for dogs, and they train dogs for the police, prison, custom. search and rescue etc etc. There must be places like that all over the country. If you find one you could see about getting a postion there. It may be quicker and easier than any other route.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2