View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Robert Daws - any information on his training methods? Or will I have to email him and find out.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Not heard of him.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Not heard of him.
Balswad Gundogs kennels..

I've emailed him, you can find him on UK gundog - they have a directory of trainers. RR referred him to me as he is in my area.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Leanne - Hijack all you like - what you're having trouble with and the advice you get may help me if I ever have that trouble..

SB - Louie has toys around the house but rarely plays with them unless we initiate it. He prefers to steal toilet roll tubes and chew them up instead...

He does however pick them up to greet us if one is near, he picked it up from Sadie - who will bring remotes and pegs if you have left her for a while and she's excited to see you back.
nice cheap 'reward' on the making there
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 02:37 PM
You may think that i'm making this up but I think I saw this Robert Daws guy last week. I parked my car where I normally park it when I visit Moorgreen (part of the Eastwood area) and there were 2 identical black Mitsu L200's parked. As I got out 2 blokes, one with a springer, came back and he had obviously had a lesson from the other guy.

His kennel name is interesting as it's Daws Lab backwards!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well speaking as an owner of an OTT dog...........

There is no need to act excited or act a bit silly with this type of dog, in fact it is contra indicated. Calmness is the key.

As for not being able to take a tennis ball onto a shotover day, well I cannot take food or a toy onto the Working Trials Field or the Schutzhund Field or any other sport.

However, by the time I have got to the stage of competing the dog has been trained using operant conditioning and thus variable rewards; has learned to increase the duration of work before getting reinforced (look at Ch C Obedience they sometimes have to do 10 mins plus of heelwork totally focused and with no reward)!

The dog always knows that at some point the (insert relevant reward) will appear.

I have also classically conditioned my dog to see the competition field as a source of great reinforcement.

Does that help?
Yes, makes perfect sense. Thank you.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
You may think that i'm making this up but I think I saw this Robert Daws guy last week. I parked my car where I normally park it when I visit Moorgreen (part of the Eastwood area) and there were 2 identical black Mitsu L200's parked. As I got out 2 blokes, one with a springer, came back and he had obviously had a lesson from the other guy.

His kennel name is interesting as it's Daws Lab backwards!
Interesting fact Leanne - how bored were you to work that out Hahaa

Did the other guy look happy? I want to come away looking happy
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I have it - I have the solution to all my problems - she comes in a tri coloured form and is totally oblivious to half the stuff I'm trying to teach Louie.

I asked Sadie to touch my hand - bear in Sadie knows very little tricks - she's not needed them really. She was asleep so I don't have to worry about her getting confused.. Louie was like I can do that - touched my hand. I then thought - hmmm curious - so I picked up some napkins - in the packet still - different texture, "Sadie hold" - again all I got was a snore, and I offered them to Louie and he held them and walked proudly with them..then brought them to hand.

I have a solution - take a sleeping Sadie everywhere with me and Louie will do as he is asked!

Of course - I'm still working on basics - I just wanted to test the theory out..
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Right - of a list taken from Lana Mitchell's book "Clicked retriever" Louie can do the ones in red.

Detailed retrieve
The TAKE from hand.
1. Look at the dummy
2. Sniff the dummy
3. Touch the dummy
4. Nose, mouth, teeth, bite
5. Reach to touch the dummy
6. Take dummy from hand

7. TAKE from up, down, left and right
8. Reach to TAKE the dummy
9. Add the “TAKE” cue
10. Walk forward to TAKE the dummy

The HOLD and carry
1. Head turn after a TAKE from hand
2. First step after a TAKE from hand
3. Turning and carrying dummy
4. Taking the dummy from an outstretched hand (distance added)
5. Turning after the TAKE
6. Walking after the TAKE
7. Walking carrying the dummy
8. Trotting carrying the dummy
9. Fronting carrying the dummy

(I haven't got onto the hold yet)

The TAKE from the floor
1. Taking from the floor
2. Turning the head after the TAKE
3. Looking up after the TAKE
4. Taking a thrown dummy
5. Turning head after the TAKE
6. Looking up after the TAKE
7. Running to the dummy
8. A good TAKE from a distance
9. A tight turn after the TAKE

The GIVE (HOLD)
1. Releasing the dummy on command
2. Holding the dummy in the FRONT position

The Front
1. Running to the handler carrying the dummy
2. Hitting the Front carrying the dummy
He finds all the bits I'm trying to work on as tedious as I do - I can't make it fun! He just doesn't seem to have any enthusiasm for it..

Is there any games I can play whilst teaching him this - I did try playing fetch in the garden and clicking the bits I wanted - but it wasn't in a controlled environment and he was enjoying it.

Should I stop and go back to it in a couple of days - we've been going over the touch a few times each day.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Hmmm, considering his genetics are mainly retriever based then i'm surprised he doesnt have much enthusiasm. He just probably thinks it's a bit of a chore and if you want it, go fetch the darn thing yourself! As you've noticed, Flynn cannot contain himself where retrieving is concerned and it's just as difficult trying to manage over enthusiasm as it is under enthusiasm!

What about taking him out with another dog who will fetch things but not letting Louie have a go? Or have a game with the dummy yourself, making it look like you're having a really good time but only allowing Louie to watch? Just thinking of ways to build his frustration which might build up his motivation.

What exactly are you having problems with? Is it retrieving to hand? What about throwing the dummy on the floor and when he picks it up having a run round engaging him to chase you with it in his mouth (not the other way round) and then try and take the dummy from him?

We'll have to have another session so we can try and come up with something that works for Louie.
Page 9 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >