View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crstna81
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:54 AM

Collar problems of the tearing off kind!

Hi everyone

I have two very rough playing staff-x dogs. I have tried collars once! My girl Chillie, ripped off her brother's (poor little Diesel) and I have not bought others.

I would like them to wear collars while we are not home for security reasons. If they somehow get out of the yard, then they can be located as they are registered. They are also microchipped.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on collars that cannot be removed easily when roughhousing? Injury to Diesel seems inevitable no matter what the solution I fear. Even a harness is removed!

Maybe there is some deterent I can spray on the collar to stop Chillie from ripping it off.
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Hi Try this product.I found it works really well.
http://www.henryscheinbrand.com/prod...leader=9002616
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:12 AM
I'd have thought a buckle one would be harder to remove than a clip one...and spray some bitter apple spray on it and leave it to dry before you put it on them. I'd keep reapplying it and maybe they will learn to leave collars alone with they are playing.
Crstna81
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Hmmm, thanks Balas mum. I will give it a go!
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:20 AM
With mine i always made sure that they had got a good smell and taste of it before allowing them to play with the other dogs.This way,as soon as the dog smells it he will avoid the collar.Hope it works for you.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 10:16 AM
In your place I'd be working on making quite sure they could not get out when you are not home as well as coming up with a plan about the collars.

I see you are in AUS. Certainly here in the UK - two rough playing Staffies loose on the streets would not go down well with anyone.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Crstna81 View Post
Hi everyone

I have two very rough playing staff-x dogs. I have tried collars once! My girl Chillie, ripped off her brother's (poor little Diesel) and I have not bought others.

I would like them to wear collars while we are not home for security reasons. If they somehow get out of the yard, then they can be located as they are registered. They are also microchipped.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on collars that cannot be removed easily when roughhousing? Injury to Diesel seems inevitable no matter what the solution I fear. Even a harness is removed!

Maybe there is some deterent I can spray on the collar to stop Chillie from ripping it off.
Hi I didnt realise that the puppy had chewed Holly's collar,until I grabbed her in a busy car park,the collar came off in my hand,but luckily holly stayed put.I have since put a small dot of Tabasco Pepper Sauce on her new collar ,and she hasnt gone near it since I think chewing where she chewed I could have lost one of my dogs because it was the bit that goes on to the buckle bit,and half that bit had gone.crystalgirl
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi I didnt realise that the puppy had chewed Holly's collar,until I grabbed her in a busy car park,the collar came off in my hand,but luckily holly stayed put.I have since put a small dot of Tabasco Pepper Sauce on her new collar ,and she hasnt gone near it since I think chewing where she chewed I could have lost one of my dogs because it was the bit that goes on to the buckle bit,and half that bit had gone.crystalgirl
Was Holly not on a lead?
Crstna81
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2013, 10:08 AM
@Tangutica, the yard is very secure yet I do have a lingering feeling that one day they may did their way out into someone else's yard and run out a gate! The urge for them to dig seems to lessen with age though.

@Catrinsparkles, I have used a plastic clip collar. I am scared of a buckle collar due to the force of Chillie's rough-playing. She yanks Diesel very hard which could lead to injury.

I haven't had a chance to try new collars or any deterents but I will do as advised. Thanks guys!