Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2012, 08:59 PM

A bit of advice or reasurance.

Right noticed lately sammy doesn't like anyone going over the top of his head not stroking wise but like for a kiss, he'll growl and move away, myself he doesn't mind never growled at me, but lets say if one of my kids goes for a kiss he'll do it, now ive told them repetedly not to as obviously he is not comfy, but i just want people to say why he does it, as ive come to the conclusion he simply feels threatened, i know he's had a few ear infections due to having a very narrow ear canal so the vet says he'll be prone to them. just need peoples opinions please.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Do you mean that you or your children go to kiss the dog on the top of his head?
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Do you mean that you or your children go to kiss the dog on the top of his head?
the children smokeybear hun, i'll give you an example, if he is asleep on the floor ect i can go and give him a kiss on top of his head or chin and he doesn't mind, but on the odd occasion my children have he has growled and moved, ive told them repeatedly not to, my youngest is 9 just incase you need to know what ages they are hun. and i mean its very very rare as if i see them going to give him a kiss i tell them no leave him, he loves them playing with him indoors or outside and adores them, it's just this issue, well i say an issue i simply think he feels threatened when they do it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Dogs do not like to be touched on the head, it is completely alien to them apart from when under threat.

So I would explain this to them, he may tolerate it from you and it may make you feel good, but dogs really do not understand hugging and kissing and we need to be mindful of this.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Dogs do not like to be touched on the head, it is completely alien to them apart from when under threat.

So I would explain this to them, he may tolerate it from you and it may make you feel good, but dogs really do not understand hugging and kissing and we need to be mindful of this.
Thankyou smokey hun for your reply, i knew what it was but i needed to show the kids and my partner it's not a behavioral problem, it's simply he feels threatened and doesn't like it.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 07:27 AM
I should imagine also that having problems with his ears can make him a bit worried when people come to near to them. One of my late dogs, Ted, suffered really badly with his ears and he was a real Teddy bear, but even he would be a bit grumpy when his ears were playing him up.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2012, 07:51 AM
You need to lead by example, thats means you stopping kissing him on the head, if your kids see you doing it , its understandable they will also do it, no matter you telling them not to.

Make some new ground rules............when he is sleeping he is to be left alone by everyone
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 09:46 AM
^^^ aggree
Many dogs put up with us hugging and kissing - but to them it isnt a friendly thing
And really it is dangerous to be teaching kids to kiss a dogs head when they are sleeping, your guy is warning them - bbut another dog startled awake may not warn - or one day he might be more grumpy/in a deeper sleep/have sore ears and snap without thinking - at the little face up so close in his face

I know it seems natural to us - and cute and loving from the kids - but clearly he is not happy at all
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm always amazed to find so few people who know the correct way to pet a dog. You do not extend your hand palm DOWN and OVER the dogs's head as many dogs find this threatening particularly if they have ear problems.

The correct way and one which in my experience most dogs find acceptable is to extend your hand palm UP and UNDER the dog's head and stroke them under the chin or neck.

I have to admit I do kiss my dogs and give them lots of hugs, but would never dream of disturbing when they're asleep mainly because I'm enjoying the peace and quiet!

Ive had mine since they were both a few weeks old and one of the first things I taught them was "kiss-kiss", which means they either get a kiss on top of their heads from me or I receive a sloppy lick on my nose

Don't tell me .... I already know ..... I'm a rather eccentric owner!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2012, 11:33 AM
there is no need for kisses,there for your comfort, only.dogs dont care,the seek affection in different ways.and if you give it it should be a simple touch,not on the head.pushing down on the head for any reason,with hand or lips ,is negitive to the dog.some learn to exept it as non threatining.some dont
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >