how did

THEY AIN'T SERVICES
GET IN MY QUOTE i NEVER WROTE THAT
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Arh you said stop paying THEM sick pay – not stop paying everyone sick pay so just wanted to clear that up.

However, what happens to the long term sick if you stop sick pay? They may have worked hard all their lives, now due to illness they get nothing or would you just pay them in other benefits – out of tax payers money?
What about child benefits? Yes they have been capped but do you think they should they have been stopped altogether - after all its their choice to have children not a choice if you become ill?

What are you thoughts on the states methods with mainly private health insurance as opposed to a welfare state?
Long term sick....take out an insurance.

I mean the people who take several weeks off a year with a belly ache or flu and get paid.

Child benefit scrap it and yes I have a child.

Mainly private health insurance would be just the same as the NHS if everyone had it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Luckily for him he has the skills to start up his own consultancy and hopefully will do well his reputation goes before him and luckily it is a good one. Some of his staff will struggle to find jobs within the education system near to where they work anyway it may not be practical as you say to relocate some of these are 2 income families and have children going through the education system and will not want to uproot their already settled children especially those in senior school and about to take exams soon and why should they ?

Under every cloud there then Lynn??? Good luck to him! Same as happened here, Dave made redundant 3 times in one year, he got fed up with that, started up on his own and never looked back!!

Regarding the relocation, my parents moved every year of my school years, and I changed schools 3 times in my secondary years , but it didn't stop me coming top of the class each year, or doing well or having friends wherever we moved, kids adapt, parents worry too much!

Is this fair to a hard working family who have always worked and done their best to look after themselves
? Do you see what I am trying to get at ? No I don't think most people do you don't have anyone that works in the system and sees what has gone on and the devastation that is about too hit this country and it isn't going to be just education.

No, it's not fair, of course it's not, BUT, it's been happening since the year dot inn the private sector, no matter how hard we've worked, and usually in a shock/horror fashion too, nobody knew it would happen, just the same as it's happened for you I'm afraid.

As for the devastation, how do we know it wouldn't be worse if these changes had not have been made then?? Nobody can answer that! It's the old story I'm afraid, Labour has always been spend, spend, spend, and you know the rest when the Conservatives take the regins! My old mum was always telling me that one too!

Originally Posted by spot View Post
But thats just the problem, increasing unemployment does impact on other sectors. Those companies who are doing well are doing well because people are spending or in the finance sector saving. People will not have the income to either save or spend its like the ripple effect and all sectors will eventually be affected. The big finance houses maybe doing well but these are multinational companies who's profits are often not ploughed into this country but sent elsewhere or passed on to their very rich share holders. If the going gets tough here they will simply pull out and set up shop elsewhere – thus creating more unemployment.

If that one happens, then God help us all, we won't be worrying just about unemployment I can assure you of that!

Yes our manufacturing industry is now dead and buried quite frankly – but what has taken over from it? And who will lose out because of the fear of unemployment or in fact real unemployment? People as has been said stop holidaying, who else losses out on that – the tourist industry! So a lot of empty privately run hotels who now no longer need their staff – see where this is going?

Sweeping slash and burn policies such as these lead to the very very real collateral fear driven economic downturn – in other words everyone is fearful of redundancy and unemployment and therefore believe it will happen to them – thus stop spending thus creating a down turn in the economy which can lead to real depression.

I would like to have a little "cyber bet" with you on that one, by means of dragging this thread back up in 4 years' time!!! The stock market took this onboard favourably last night, that says it all for me!

It maybe the governments policy to rise unemployment to such a high level that it brings inflation very low and thus creating an economic upturn but thats a dangerous game to play which has in the past led to stagnation of the economy.

As for the welfare being capped (Im sorry I thought you had wholeheartedly agreed with Jols regarding stopping sick pay for all) I think they should be capped to a point but disagree with stopping benefits or sick pay for people who are to ill to work.

I'm sorry???? I said sick pay SHOULD be paid to everybody who is sick or cannot work????!!!! I did!!!

My parents were also self employed all their lives – they do however get the state pension so it seems some benefits can be claimed. Im not sure were you have got the idea that I expect someone else to pay my way but I did expect to get paid when ill and to have some money given to me when I was made redundant – if not just why am I paying my taxes and national insurance for?

As above, if you're sick, you're sick, you can't work you should get paid, BUT, what I said was, I want to get all those lazy b*ggers up off their a*ses who have never held a job down in their entire lives and don't intend to, coz I'm sick to death of paying for them to go on holiday, have a nice house and get everything free that we have to PAY for! Including my council tax that only gets my bin emptied each week coz we don't have kids, I never see a policeman, my house hasn't caught fire, I don't use the library, and yet I pay £170 each and every month for the priveledge! They even get let off that No, I want changes, BIG changes, the bigger the better!

Those people who are striving hard 24/7 to keep a roof over their heads are exactly some of the people who will be made redundant just because they may work in the public sector does not mean they are not working hard or sitting around waiting for handouts.

Totally different again, these people are fully entitled to their hand-outs, they've earned them, they've worked for them, they should get them at times like this, but they should also get another job like we always had to!

Immigration is a totally different subject to people having their jobs cut and yep many people go off on one about that but it is a different subject.
Yes, but they've made huge changes to the housing benefit which will now stop them claiming more than £400 a week on ANY house, which is what I love!!! Bring it OOOOOOOOOON!
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes, but they've made huge changes to the housing benefit which will now stop them claiming more than £400 a week on ANY house, which is what I love!!! Bring it OOOOOOOOOON!

Bravo
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Long term sick....take out an insurance.

I mean the people who take several weeks off a year with a belly ache or flu and get paid.

Child benefit scrap it and yes I have a child.

Mainly private health insurance would be just the same as the NHS if everyone had it.
Have you any idea how expensive income protection insurance is and that the majority exclude so many illnesses and only kick in after several months of being off sick?
What happens when you lose your job and get ill do you just crawl away and die because you can't afford the premiums ?
The NHS may not be perfect but we should all fight to protect free healthcare with a passion and support those less fortunate than ourselves.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 04:24 PM
If I have time off work I dont get paid
[i earn £2 less than minimum for ssp]

So why should it be a cushy benefit for others.

Lots of people in the private sector dont get paid......some shops, nursing homes, etc so why should the tax payer pay for someone off sick cause they have a belly ache.

Long term sick could be covered by a insurance .

When I was in full time employment before having my child it was included in my pension.

My pension was 4% of my wages.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2010, 04:51 PM
When I worked for a large multi national company I did get paid for being off sick, I would get full pay for 6 months and half pay for the next 6 months and then after that would have no pay. I didn't take a single sick day off work in 11 years. So it doesn't follow that because you can that you will. That was a private company not a public sector company.
It's true that these days many companies do not pay sick pay usually for the first 3 days to discourage duvet days after that most do pay sick pay for various amounts of time depending on the contract signed at the time of employment. That came about because people abused the system and companies want there staff at work doing what they're being paid for. Statuatory sick pay is available at the expense of the general public and is hardly a fortune. Long term sick could be covered by insurance but the premiums would be beyond most people. If you're injured at work you would be entitled to compensation from your employer and the stories that tend to hit the headlines are police officers/social workers on long term sick for many years tbh I think they should be invalided out of the job.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
I know they are services

how did

THEY AIN'T SERVICES
GET IN MY QUOTE i NEVER WROTE THAT
errr....of course you didnt, i did
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
errr....of course you didnt, i did
Sorry but it was in the middle of my quote...............

My mistake
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 05:23 PM
I did get paid for being off sick, I would get full pay for 6 months and half pay for the next 6 months and then after that would have no pay. I didn't take a single sick day off work in 11 years. So it doesn't follow that because you can that you will

A lot will not go sick ...granted.but an awful lot do.

And if you dont mind police getting invalided out why not other public sector workers.........
Page 14 of 27 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »