View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Why not get one from a rescue? Rescues often have puppies and they all need good homes. You might even find something through a pug, or beagle, or even puggle rescue, if such a thing now exists.
I personally wouldn't buy a puppy from a commercial breeder, no matter how many good reviews they get. I simply don't believe that making money from breeding puppies should be a main income. Not with the current rescues overloaded with unwanted dogs. If I chose to find a puppy from a breeder, I would only ever go for family breeders who have less than say 3 litters per year. And obviously make sure all the necessary health tests are carried out and that the parents have a good temperament.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2014, 08:06 PM
So unhealthy they tend to be quite long lived 16 is not unusual. You didn't simply say you wouldn't touch one, you also said they are riddled with health issues. Of course there are Pugs with health issues just as virtually every other breed has health issues. No one suggests people avoid Labradors due to HD. Ethical breeders are doing everything they can to minimise issues within the breed but the problem is the breed attracts unethical breeders due to the high prices they can command. The responsibility lies with the buyer to ensure they only buy from health tested parents just as it does with any breed. I didn't recommend the breed either I asked why the OP didn't go for a Pug from heath tested parents rather than a Puggle as she'd already decided a Puggle suited her needs. Pugs are truly wonderful little dogs much unappreciated on the whole and whenever someone mentions they are thinking of getting one they are generally swayed away from them by the opinions of many who really don't know the breed instead of being swayed towards an ethical breeder. OK I'm off my soapbox
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
So unhealthy they tend to be quite long lived 16 is not unusual. You didn't simply say you wouldn't touch one, you also said they are riddled with health issues. Of course there are Pugs with health issues just as virtually every other breed has health issues. No one suggests people avoid Labradors due to HD. Ethical breeders are doing everything they can to minimise issues within the breed but the problem is the breed attracts unethical breeders due to the high prices they can command. The responsibility lies with the buyer to ensure they only buy from health tested parents just as it does with any breed. I didn't recommend the breed either I asked why the OP didn't go for a Pug from heath tested parents rather than a Puggle as she'd already decided a Puggle suited her needs. Pugs are truly wonderful little dogs much unappreciated on the whole and whenever someone mentions they are thinking of getting one they are generally swayed away from them by the opinions of many who really don't know the breed instead of being swayed towards an ethical breeder. OK I'm off my soapbox
My comment about them being riddled with health issues is largely what I've heard Pug owners say many times. Just went back to check on some threads about the breed on another site actually, just to see whether I was totally out of line with what I said. But I wasn't.

I don't disagree that they're wonderful little dogs. The ones I've met have always been super sweet natured little dogs. But that doesn't take away from the fact they do have a pretty extensive list of health issues they can be effected by. By all means if someone wants one, go to a reputable breeder, but I think for potential newbies the risk of health problems could be a real eye opener. Same with most brachycephalic breeds.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I think it's something that people keep repeating once they've heard it. The owners who complain of health issues invariably didn't go to an ethical breeder though and it's always bad news that gets people's attention. Of course there are no guarantees with any dog but why people don't do their homework and source an ethical breeder is beyond my comprehension, I can only assume they don't want to wait. I can understand that as I waited two years for my first Pug due to breeding plans not going according to plan. The second one arrived in an instant simply because my phone call to one of the breeders I'd waited two years for happened to have a pup available. Other than that I was prepared for another long wait.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2014, 08:39 PM
I've been waiting 2 years for my next puppy too. Hopefully this next breeding ( puppies due in next couple of weeks ) will result in my puppy, finally. I think if you go through the responsible breeders you do end up waiting a fair while, especially if your breed isn't common.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 09:16 PM
OP's original post was to ask if anyone knew anything about the Pugs R Us breeders. I think they've been given good advice warning them off them.

Not really any need to make the sort of comments like 'if you want to throw away your money it's your prerogative'. Or get into arguments about all pugs having health issues and so on ....

Of course some people come on asking for advice and only really hoping to hear what they want to hear.

But the original question was asking if anyone knew anything about these 'breeders'. Seems no one has personal knowledge but there have been a few good 'pointers' as to why they might be less than ideal.

I would take the USEFUL info from the replies and ignore the rest. OP is at least asking BEFORE buying a dog - a very wise thing to do - so no need at all to berate or belittle or sneer at her for something she hasn't yet done!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 09:17 PM
If you happy to get an unhealth tested pup there's loads on preloved and you won't have been relieved of 1200 bucks. If you adamant you want one and can't find a rescue

And go for 'for life' insurance cover. There are no guarantees in life . Caveat emptor
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 09:18 PM
I would advise for life cover on pedigrees and x breeds alike. Not being derogatory!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

07-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Tang - nobody said 'if you want to throw away your money it's your prerogative'.

I was the only person who used the word "prerogative" and if you care to read back what I said was

Your money, your choice. If you wish to support a puppy farmer and risk a lot of money on a cross breed pup with no health tests for either dam or sire, then it is your prerogative.
So please tell me who and where someone said 'if you want to throw away your money it's your prerogative'.?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Honestly, if she wants a Puggle... it's going to be hard to find one from a so-called reputable breeder. Since these so-called reputable breeders only support breeding "purebred" dogs.

Nobody that breeds mixed breeds for sale can be good people like the wonderful "reputable breeders". There is no way that mixed breed puppies for sale can be sold by good people who care about dogs. Pssht... please. Sarcasm.

It's not fair to say that at all. I refuse to accept that breeders of designer dogs are always bad breeders and produce unhealthy dogs. It's not true, which is why I refuse to accept it.

The prices of the dogs are not always that outrageous, which does suggest that these particular people are simply out to make money... but I have seen these designer breeds sold for more reasonable prices and actually health tested so....
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >