register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-02-2014, 05:42 PM
I think your cooked whole grains will be a whole world away from the cheapo fillers used in complete foods. Lets face it commercial food manufacturers are in business to make money, so the more they can shave off the cost of the contents of a bag of food, the better for them
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2014, 06:01 PM
That is just it, June. I know exactly what grains I give to Pereg because all the ingredients and their nutritional values are given. And I also trust that particular brand, with THIS and THIS being staples in my cupboard.

But just as some dogs cannot digest grains or pulses of any type, so also can some humans not digest grains and pulses of any type. Pereg can but she is obviously not fed only on them - just a small amount added to her first meal, and she has pulses as well as whole grains. And I obviously can as I have been eating pulses and whole grains for yonks. Because I like them?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2014, 06:52 PM
And I'm old enough to remember when butchers used to give you 'bones for the dog' for nothing. And when stuff like ribs was almost throwaway (now it's a posh meal lol!) Some say vets make money out of recommending kibble (I have no idea if that is true) but on the other hand, these days, butchers make money out of stuff they used to chuck out or give away for nothing too.

I say if what you are feeding your dog now suits them, they like it and they are healthy - why change it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-02-2014, 06:53 PM
I don't pay for the bones I get, it is quite a drive to get them, but they do come free.
Vets get commission on the sales of petfood
Hiker
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Gorgeous dogs!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2014, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I don't pay for the bones I get, it is quite a drive to get them, but they do come free.
Vets get commission on the sales of petfood
I don't know if that is true without a credible source/link.

But then apparently human doctors get good inducements from med reps who plague them but - do we outlaw the drugs we are given on account of that?

Another case mebbe of us applying higher standards to what goes IN our pets and what is recommended to our pets than than for ourselves.

We ALL know what's bad for us but all laugh about scoffing cakes, choklit, alcohol, ciggies and all sorts?
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4