Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Would it be ok for those odds of death for dogs in flyball, agility or showing?
That was what I was thinking too - I do tend to accept that there will be deaths in horse-related sports (as a generalisation, the issues with the Grand National aside), yet if the same happened on a regular basis in dog sports I would be appalled, a bit hypocritical.......
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No death is "acceptable" to me.

Whehter horses die i the field, during eventing, racing, dressage etc (ad horses have died participating in ALL the above activities and more)

The stats concentrate on the GN but horses die in other races, at other courses on the flat and over the sticks.
Yes but its only the grand national that matters! the antis only pop up once a year SB.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
That was what I was thinking too - I do tend to accept that there will be deaths in horse-related sports (as a generalisation, the issues with the Grand National aside), yet if the same happened on a regular basis in dog sports I would be appalled, a bit hypocritical.......
Unfortunatly it does happen in dog sports and more frequently in Greyhound racing than in Horse racing.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Unfortunatly it does happen in dog sports and more frequently in Greyhound racing than in Horse racing.
Oooft good point, totally forgot about greyhound racing!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes but its only the grand national that matters! the antis only pop up once a year SB.
As far as I am concerned, all deaths in all sports matter.

I do not follow horse racing and I do not follow the Grand National. I have only commented on this thread about the Grand National because it is the first, and only thread about horse racing that has occurred since I joined Dogsey.

I am not, therefore, an "anti" who "only pops up once a year" - and you have no idea what I might or might not think or feel about racing or any other horse [or dog] sports.

This thread is about The Grand National. And as such I have posted on this thread.

So please do not assume that it is only the GN and deaths that occur during it that are of concern to me.

ALL deaths are of concern to me.

But yes, what happened at Aintree, this year, last year, every year, absolutely sickens me.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 12:17 PM
A total of 40 horses in the national
Over 12 years
= 480 horses

23 fatalities = 4.792%

This is neither me expressing an opinion for or against the race. I'm providing numbers, facts, that's all.
You guys can use them as you see fit.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Wrong Dawn, I spend time away from this site supporting campaigns and spreading the word about the deaths that occur in the greyhound and horse racing world all year long.
You don't have a clue what people do away from here so don't go making out we only think about one race on one day. Thats far from the truth and I find it very insulting.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
As far as I am concerned, all deaths in all sports matter.

I do not follow horse racing and I do not follow the Grand National. I have only commented on this thread about the Grand National because it is the first, and only thread about horse racing that has occurred since I joined Dogsey.

I am not, therefore, an "anti" who "only pops up once a year" - and you have no idea what I might or might not think or feel about racing or any other horse [or dog] sports.

This thread is about The Grand National. And as such I have posted on this thread.

So please do not assume that it is only the GN and deaths that occur during it that are of concern to me.

ALL deaths are of concern to me.

But yes, what happened at Aintree, this year, last year, every year, absolutely sickens me.
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Wrong Dawn, I spend time away from this site supporting campaigns and spreading the word about the deaths that occur in the greyhound and horse racing world all year long.
You don't have a clue what people do away from here so don't go making out we only think about one race on one day. Thats far from the truth and I find it very insulting.
Perhaps both of you should shout a little louder and publisize your feelings more often than on one race per year then. Just a suggestion.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
A total of 40 horses in the national
Over 12 years
= 480 horses

23 fatalities = 4.792%

This is neither me expressing an opinion for or against the race. I'm providing numbers, facts, that's all.
You guys can use them as you see fit.
does anyone have the stats for other things - for example Badmington, regular races and grayhound races?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Perhaps both of you should shout a little louder and publisize your feelings more often than on one race per year then. Just a suggestion.
How do you know what I do or do not do when I am not posting on Dogsey?
Page 11 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »