Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 11:37 AM

Just a Dog

JUST A DOG

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."
Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make
me a better person. Because of "just a dog", I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" , but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man or woman." So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile -- because they "just don't understand."

Author Unknown

Mo
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Brilliant
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 12:09 PM
I've seen that before and loved it then, i hate it when people say 'IT'S just a dog' and even worse when followed by you can get another. My replay is 'ITS just a child, you can make another' LOL!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Very true
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Wonderful................

Don't you just wonder at people who say ''it's just a dog''
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2009, 01:00 PM
One day, a friend left our garden gate open (a hollering invitation to a Border Collie), and Kali took himself for an unauthorized walkie. Immediately, I cancelled my proposed trip to a mate in Edinburgh. His reaction was "Come on, mate, he's only a dog!" The printable part of my reply was "Yeah, and you're only a person."

What these people need to learn (in fact, everyone ought to) is that, to the owner, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "JUST A DOG!" This creature is a four-legged member of a family, who is in need of a shave and elocution lessons ( )

Snorri

ETA: When I get my successor to Snorri-dog, he'll be a lovely wee man, and will be much loved, but he won't BE Snorri-dog, unfortunately, and through no fault of his own.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 01:06 PM
My most hated sentence....... and guaranteed to make a large blonde bird violent......
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Well, I often get comments like "just a dog" but mostly "you must be mad!" People who hardly know me say "You must be mad" because I have six Chihuahuas. They don't realise that it's insulting and it makes my blood boil to hear people berating my pets like that. Why would I be mad to have six little friends in my family, that we all adore.

Often, when people that don't know me hear I have six Chis, they assume I don't have kids, of which I have three! Wonder why that is???? Dogs are not kid subsitutes, after all, dogs give you nowhere near the grief kids do

I've come to the conclusion that, unless you are a dog lover, you just cannot understand the love we all have for our dogs You have to pity people that miss out on the love we give/receive every day form our beloved pets
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Very true.... mine are NOT 'just a dog' they are my complete world and a very sad one without them....

It also goes for my other fur babies, it hurts to the core when I lose one and people just shrug and say 'its just a guinea pig' or 'just a rabbit'.... some of these people have cats and dogs too
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Wonderful - it brought a tear to my eye. I really identify with this author.

I experienced quite a bit of 'It's just a dog' or ' you are mad' or variations thereof over xmas when visiting relatives. Cox had to be left in the conservatory/porch/garden of relatives houses on two occasions for quite long spells, when he was understandably quite whiny alone in a strange (albeit safe) place. I was visibly upset about this which prompted these comments. I could have erupted, but kept my cool for the sake of family harmony at xmas. Next year, I will plan it better, and it seems the way round this is to invite people over to our house rather than visit.

Cox is currently asleep under my chair, as it should be
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >