View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:30 AM
"It" is used when they annoy me, unknown gender of other dogs..

I also am referred to as Mummy, OH is Daddy, we have Grandma, Granddad (OH's parents), there are various Aunties, we have Ronnie's (my mums). But it is just a way of identifying people.

I don't refer to my dogs as children/furbabies/furkids though. And although I talk about them and sometimes to them as if they are children - I know full well they are dogs. I also know full well I am not their mum.

But "it" annoys me as much as "the dog" when people refer to their animals although when I'm with people who don't know mine by name etc, it's the Blonde one, Black one/collie, the older pup/brown'un and the younger pup. Or the older boy/younger boy, older bitch/younger bitch... When in a group -if I can't remember names they get called by what they are; gundogs, collies, greyhound, little dogs..
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:31 AM
I would refer to mine as 'it' in jest, as in 'it's been a sod today', but not seriously. They are he or she. I do refer to myself as their Mum, and sometimes if we're going somewhere I'll say come on kids, but I don''t like the term 'furkid' or 'furbaby', it makes me cringe a bit.

I don't like when people refer to their dog as 'it' in all seriousness though, like when someone phoned me at work to cancel their dog's appointment as they had 'got rid of it'. That was annoying, as they didn't view their dog as a part of their family - more an inconvenience.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Has anyone else come across people routinely referring to their dog as "it" rather than by specific name or gender (he/she) or "my dog" etc?

I.e "it" did this, "it" was doing that, etc.

I find it very jarring and am always concerned about their relationship with their dog if this is, IMO, the rather remote way that they view "it".

Do/would you find it equally concerning?
LOL---I regularly was heard to say "It's a very naughty small dog" about my JRT! Don't think we had a relationship problem.

I have called other dogs 'it' as well on occassion.

Depends on the context and the dog and the people.

rune
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't mind people referring to their dogs as furbabies or kids, it's all very tongue in cheek, we get it a lot with our american friends. They don't for a minute think their dogs are anything but dogs, same thing with saying mum and dad.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:07 AM
I always make a point of referring to client's dogs by name, it's more personal. I had a man bring in two black cocker once though and I asked which was which the man said 'does it matter?' Well yes, so I can tell you how each INDIVIDUAL dog has got on, whether they have any skin issues, lumps and bumps etc. and also so I can call the dog by his name to help him feel at ease etc.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:10 AM
We never refer to the dogs as 'it' they each are spoken to or about by name always have been.....and they all have nicknames which Pat calls them with a laugh as they always go to him via nickname too (pinky, muffin, messy and no legs)

When we are out and we are talking to other doggy people each are referred to by name too, if in the sentence Im saying something about a particular one then its ...he can be blah blah or she is blah blah.

I refer to myself as Mom....but Pat is defo Dad everyone says that to them
Others that come to the house are referred by just their name like ....Gary's here etc etc.

But we frequently meet people who call their dogs ''it'' I find its usually men around here too, quite recently we got talking to a guy who happily said ''Its the wife's dog...I can not stand 'it' I only walk 'it' to keep the peace''
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't like people calling a dog 'it'... Although, sometimes if they don't know the sex then it isn't so bad

I absolutely hate when people call their OWN dog 'it' though... It doesn't say much to me, of what they think about the dog if that is how they refer their dog.

I do get referred to as 'mum' though... especially by OH
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:22 AM
I also use "IT" is jest occasionally. If Cain's being super annoying, whiny and pestering me I'll sigh and say "what does it want now?!". It's all to do with context. It's not the word necessarily, but how its used. It defianately can denote indifference or a lack of relationship with a dog.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:23 AM
A lot of the working dog folk I know refer to their dog as "it" I am not keen at all. In fact, thinking back I think my hubby used to refer to his as "it" at times and I told him off for it, and I don't think he does it at all now To be fair, most of these same people (and hubby of course too) care very much about their dogs and don't see it as derogatory to call their dog an "it". Perhaps it is more a pet mentality thing.

Anyway, I always refer to my lot by name or he/she and I am also not a huge fan of "furkids" and "furbabies" and never use those terms myself.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:26 AM
I hate it when people use 'it', I find people do it more with horses than dogs.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >