View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 04:11 PM
If it's any consolation, other dogs don't like Loki either and he is always being had a go at, even when he's on the lead. Not that it seems to bother him.

Loki also drops to the ground as you describe, although in his case he's not being friendly.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2010, 08:11 AM
poor monty hope hes ok now i must agree with some other posts my dog is usually the friendliest dog but put her near a boxer and she kicks off although she has had boxer friends in the past i now dont let hernear as i cant trust her my other dog is a staffie and i must admit a lot of dogs attack him for no reason havent noticed that he gives of bad signals my old dog i think knew breeds shed be great with staffies but kick of at anything else very strange lol
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Parker doesn't like Boxers either but I am unsure why as it could be because he was humped by a large fat one a number of years ago and the owner was quite snotty when I said she shouldn't let her dog do that (next time it tried I had a large water pistol ready-never did it again after that!!)

We also used to go to an obedience class that was mainly Boxers and they do seem to have different social skills to other dogs as they invaded his space head-on and he didn't like that (Parker will approach other dogs in an arc and look away to show he is not threatening if he thinks they look worried). However, as another person said on here-that is not the Boxer's owners problem - it is my responsibility to leash him when we see a Boxer. If they are calm he is fine but they are usually quite bouncy dogs!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
they do seem to have different social skills to other dogs as they invaded his space head-on and he didn't like that (Parker will approach other dogs in an arc and look away to show he is not threatening if he thinks they look worried). However, as another person said on here-that is not the Boxer's owners problem - it is my responsibility to leash him when we see a Boxer. If they are calm he is fine but they are usually quite bouncy dogs!
Yup, they approach everything 'head-on'... I think that is part of the problem really....

Murphy's ideal greeting is to run right up to a dogs face, huff at them, smack them round the head a bit, then do the polite bum-sniffing etc....

Of course, not many other dogs consider this a proper and polite greeting, and frankly, neither do I! It can be quite a struggle to get other dogs to understand them.

That's why I don't let my two run up to other dogs - their 'full-on' attitude just gets them into trouble....
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Some dogs don't like the flatter faced breeds such as Boxers and go on the denfensive, I would have been annoyed too. I doubt that is the first time this guys dog has did this. Its not as if Boxers are a rare breed, there is plenty of them about. Im afraid I would have told him that his dog was anything but friendly!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2010, 12:18 AM
i have a friend who used to have a boxer and he was attacked many times he became extremely FA and developed the attitude 'attack or be attacked', which isnt surprising really.

i really hate the 's/he is just being friendly' excuse
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3