Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2008, 07:11 AM

Best puppy food?

Now we've sorted the breeders out, finally found a dog from an ethical source, learnt how to get through the first night etc all with a lot of help from the Dogsey posts,can anyone now advise me on what puppy food to give our new Kooiker when he's finally settled in? We live in Belgium, and the breeder uses a frozen food called "DUCK". It doesn't have any duck in it, but a mix of tripe and other stuff. There's a Belgian website for DUCK (in English strangely enough), but I have been advised by friends that if we want to avoid messy smelly poo we should change to the dry complete mix. We have Eukanuba and Royal Canin here and probably others that you get in the UK too. We're going on a recce today to see what's available. Do you think that we should start with the "DUCK" then begin adding some dry food, whilst reducing the proportion of "DUCK", until he's on 100% dry? And how long do you think we should take for the transition? Opinions please! Many thanks! Dee
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 12:36 PM
hi sorry only just seen this. i would see what dry foods are around, i would say to add a small amount of the food that you have chosen each meal increasing each day for about 7 days till on the dry only, with new pups you should always leave a week a so before you change giving the time to settle in and calm down to new home.

so pleased you have found a breeder you are ahppy with, the breeder is also a good person to talk to as they will give all the advice you need for your breed as well. please put some pics up.

good luck hun hope all goes well for you
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-04-2008, 01:41 PM
There was a thread on it a while back that might be useful
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=73893
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dee Buzby View Post
We live in Belgium, and the breeder uses a frozen food called "DUCK". It doesn't have any duck in it, but a mix of tripe and other stuff. There's a Belgian website for DUCK (in English strangely enough), but I have been advised by friends that if we want to avoid messy smelly poo we should change to the dry complete mix. We have Eukanuba and Royal Canin here and probably others that you get in the UK too.
We have actually found that ours have better (more solid) poo when fed on a raw diet, although saying that I notice the main constituents of DUCK seem to be tripe and offal and these do tend to produce slightly looser, smellier motions. Hopefully people on here who use DUCK will be able to let you know what their dogs stools were like.

With regards to dry food, our youngest was weaned onto Royal Canin and is still on it for now. His breeder has fed this brand for a while and their dogs do very well on it