View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2012, 09:37 AM

I had never heard of raw feeding before i joined this site!

my dog is currently eating a complete dry dog food and seems fine, i have always given him veg trimmings, brocolli stalks, cabbage hearts even onion ends, ( i did once cook then potato peelings for him but my husband thought i was nuts!) he also has a garlic cloves with each meal as someone said it stops them eating their own poo..... i was just wondering what the benefits of raw feeding are? and also if i could combine it with the dry dog food as i think it might be fairly expensive to just feed raw?
and are there any veggies etc i should avoid?
anything else i can give him thats good for him?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Becarefull what you feed your dog.

Onions, chocolate(especially dark chocolate), avacado are poisoness to dogs. Including Rhubarb and Grapes??

My dog loves garlic so I would hardly see how feeding her garlic cloves would stop her eating her own poo. Garlic is good for helping to keep internal parsites like worms at bay.

Feeding raw meat helps clean teeth as well as feeding bone that is why raw fed dogs have better teeth then those fed on dry or wet. It helps reduce smelly breath and can give them more energy.

Note that you should never feed dogs cooked bones as these can shard and become brittle which is what makes them dangerous.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by kirstin_mad_dog View Post
my dog is currently eating a complete dry dog food and seems fine, i have always given him veg trimmings, brocolli stalks, cabbage hearts even onion ends, ( i did once cook then potato peelings for him but my husband thought i was nuts!) he also has a garlic cloves with each meal as someone said it stops them eating their own poo..... i was just wondering what the benefits of raw feeding are? and also if i could combine it with the dry dog food as i think it might be fairly expensive to just feed raw?
and are there any veggies etc i should avoid?
anything else i can give him thats good for him?

You should avoid onions and grapes - I think they're the two.. Garlic helps with fleas.

For my 27kg dog it costs about £30 a month, now I have two who will more or less be 27kg each it'll cost be about £30-£50 a month. But only because I have two visitors who have raw when they're here.

You can feed part raw, part kibble, but not in the same meal, better to feed one meal of each a day or one day raw, the next kibble.

There are these links you can read to help you get started with your research.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=152247
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=137215
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=140911

Hope this helps and don't forget any questions - no matter how daft you think they sound - we can answer
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2012, 09:55 AM
oooh i knew about grapes and choc being bad for dogs but not onion.........oops!
i googled coprophagia (sp) and there were alot of things saying put garlic, pineapple and alot of other bizarre things n their food......it didnt work anyway but garlic breath is alot better than dog breath!
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2012, 10:01 AM
oooh thank you! do i need to be blending the veg?
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Personally I blend the veg as it gets digested much better so the dogs get more benefit.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 05:59 PM
You don't have to feed veg at all if you're feeding raw, some people do, some don't. Personally I don't
Raw IMO isn't an expensive way to feed dogs, compared to some commercial brands it can work out quite cheap, especially if you know where to shop. Also the health benefits from feeding raw outweighs the financial side of things if raw does work out slightly more expensive than a commercial diet, again in my opinion.