View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 09:45 PM

Raw Feeders: What percentage of bodyweight do you feed?

Another thread got me thinking about the vast difference between percentage bodyweight fed to dogs of similar sizes, baring in mind the recommended amount to maintain bodyweight is 2-3%, so I thought I'd start a thread to compare! I'll go first:

Isla

Bodyweight: 19kg (42lb)

Weight of food fed per day: 113g (4oz)

% bodyweight fed: 0.6%

Oscar

Bodyweight: 25kg (55lb)

Weight of food fed per day: 1kg (2.2lb)

% bodyweight fed: 4%

You can imagine how guilty I feel when looking at the two dog dishes at feeding time!

I hope that all makes sense?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Wow that is a big difference. I'm not sure how much my dogs get, iv got it written on my whiteboard by their freezer but I'm not at home so can't look. However I know that Gemma eats more than flint.... Flint weighs about 25kg and Gemma weights about 12kg. I think Gemma eats about 4-5% and flints on about 2%. Simba is on about 3%.

I don't know how it works, they all get same walks etc only difference is flint is lazy and chooses not to do much when at home whereas sim and gem are always on the go milling around.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Wow that is a big difference. I'm not sure how much my dogs get, iv got it written on my whiteboard by their freezer but I'm not at home so can't look. However I know that Gemma eats more than flint.... Flint weighs about 25kg and Gemma weights about 12kg. I think Gemma eats about 4-5% and flints on about 2%. Simba is on about 3%.

I don't know how it works, they all get same walks etc only difference is flint is lazy and chooses not to do much when at home whereas sim and gem are always on the go milling around.
I think with mine the main differences are Oscar is entire, Isla is neutered: Oscar is 3 years younger than Isla: Oscar is full of nervous energy and Isla a lazy get!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Moon weighed around 25kg, was fed around 600g a day, which was almost 2.5%. he was always a skinny minny, would have like to have fed him more but he refused to eat any more as he was a picky eater.

Cain appears to put on weight easily, perhaps because he is on lead so much He weighs 42kg, gets 700g a day which is slightly over 1.5%. He was on 800g a day (2%) and put on 5kg in a very short period! we cut down to 700g, he lost the weight and has remained stable for over a year at this amount.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 10:18 PM
It must be really hard to feed such a small amount to Isla. What does she get, like one chicken wing?! You probably couldn't feed other RMBs as they are too big.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Jake doesn't get a set amount to eat... He is 25kg and usually gets about 500g which is 2% of his body weight, but sometimes he gets more than 500g... It depends what he is getting that day
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2012, 05:31 AM
How do you work out the total weight of food when giving a bone meal which is heavy? A chunk of turkey neck for example weighs a lot more than Pereg should have in a day, but the actual meat, ie protein, is nowhere near the total weight of the chunk.

I weigh all the RMBs and/or meat/fish that she has, but do not now count the weight of vegetables in with her total daily intake as the calories in them are so little.

She had gained weight due to medication and was up to 20.8kg at the end of September last year, but I had started changing her to raw about last June, and from September I put her on a weight-reducing diet of 2% of the 18kg I wanted to get her down to, weighing everything.

She was weighed this last Thursday and has gone down to 19.3kg and although she looks a lot slimmer and is now the perfect shape for her build I still want to get her down another 1.5kg, so I am keeping to the same amounts she has been having. But it is difficult to know whether the actual weight of the bones do or do not count.

I do know that she should probably get more exercise than she does but that is something I cannot control or change, and even though she does love to go out there is nowhere she can go for a run off-lead - and she is a happy soul whether she goes out or not.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Never weighed it, just gone on how they look, all get approximately 1/2lb of mince a day and either a lamb rib or a couple of chicken carcasses which are just backs they weigh between 13kg and 19kg and it seems to work for them
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 07:40 AM
I don't weigh the food and I only know approximate weights of the dogs but when they are on minces I can guess...

Keiko and Rio are both around 30kg and get about 500g per day so that would be just less than 2%.

Dan is around 45 kg and gets the same as the girls so around 1% for him.

Rogue just gets about a tablespoon full so no idea. She's about 5kg and probably gets more percentage wise but she's off lead more and gets lot more exercise.

My cat is 6kg ish and eats a ridiculous amount of food, way more than a small dog.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Malka, I started weighing things to get Cain's weight down. I include the bone in the weight for things like any kind of poultry bone and ribs. The only time I disregard the weight of the bone is for really big things, like a cow foot, where he's left with a giant cow leg bone which he won't possibly consume. If it's a bone he will eat and digest, like chicken wings or turkey necks, I count the bone and weigh the whole thing. Don't know if it's right, but it works for us.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >