View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thorsdad
New Member!
Male 

13-04-2012, 07:13 PM
The previous owner of our Cavalier King Charles used to give her dogs (2 Cavs and 2 boxers) rawhide and our dog used to try and steal the bits that the others left - it was pure competition on his part - and he would down them as quickly as he could to prevent the others from getting their share. It didn't seem to do him any harm. Interestingly, since we have had him he doesn't look near the rawhide and we still have a piece that we brought away with us two years ago. Since we don't have another dog he obviously doesn't feel the need to be one up on the others.
Eddie's Mom
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Hi,

This is my first post here, not sure if I'm doing it right!

I used to feed rawhide chews but I don't anymore, since my JRT had an episode of acute pancreatitis requiring hospitalisation and IV support. My vet advised against rawhide chews for the following reasons:

1. Very high fat content.
2. Possibility of intestinal distress/blockage.
3. Possibilty of contamination.

I suspect a dodgy rawhide chew may have been the trigger for the pancreatitis, although he also had a fatty marrow bone the same week. The vet had previously advised me to scrape all the marrow out, due to the high fat content (but I didn't listen). Wish I had now...

I honestly thought I was doing the right thing by feeding rawhides and marrow bones, and people often commented on how good his teeth were. But his poor pancreas became overburdened by fat, and he got very sick.

Post-pancreatitis he is not allowed to have bones or rawhide chews, so I've been giving him him Nylabone (under close supervision) because it has no fat or calories.

He's doing well, but he will have to remain on a restricted diet for the rest of his life. Not that he's doing it THAT tough! Mum has learned to poach chicken breasts in water (to remove the excess fat) and he absolutely LOVES them!

Eddie's Mom...
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi eddies mom thanks for the post, Samson was fine so i was worrying for nothing but i won't buy them again, didn't realize they were bleached etc
Eddie's Mom
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Thanks all seems good so far, never thought about the origins before it's just something that dogs had at home from when I was a kid so kind of blindly carried on? He has plenty to chew on anyway so will not buy again
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Hi eddies mom thanks for the post, Samson was fine so i was worrying for nothing but i won't buy them again, didn't realize they were bleached etc
Hi zoeyvonne Glad Samson is A-OK
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 11:41 AM
I stopped giving my dogs raw-hide a few years ago, after one of them got a piece stuck and nearly choked.

It is hard stuff for them to digest, I'd rather give mine sterile bones to chomp on.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2