Our sister sites
muckeroja
New Member!
Male 

19-03-2012, 09:19 PM

Hello Dogsey people!

I'm new to Dogsey, so hello!
I have a 10 month old Alaskan Malamute....he's an amazing dog

Just wondering if any of you could help me out choosing a new dog food. I currently use Autarky Chicken...i've went through a bag and a half and he still has soft occasssionally runny stools.

I want to spend about £20 a bag...what dog food would you advise?

Thank you! Paul
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Just wanted to say, have fun with him.. they are wonderful dogs.. I have got a cross Malamut/Mastin and she is great.. Not sure about the food though, can't help you with that as I live in Spain and no doubt you have different foods over there.. I feed my Spanish Mastins Satisfaction but is a bit more expensive.....
muckeroja
New Member!
Male 

20-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Aye, we (My wife and 3 week old daughter and i) are realy enjoying him. I grew up with a cocker spaniel...can't believe how different his charactor is in comparison!

Rang up pet store they advise autarky Salmon...we shall see.

Enjoy spain, my wife is fluent. Class country. Paul
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Skinner's Duck and Rice is a very good food for the price, shouldn't be more than about £20 for 15kg if you shop around. There is also a Salmon and Rice version which is a few quid more but whichever suits your dog best
muckeroja
New Member!
Male 

20-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Thank you!
muckeroja
New Member!
Male 

24-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Hello just letting you know what we decided. I tried him on the Salmon Autarky and it was perfect, at last firm poos!

I also did a little experiment...no treats for a week (I'd use those Bonio bone treats, Winalot Shapes and i confess those toxic multi-coloured sticks made of raw hide[i used to give him rawhide but it was too much for him so i was trying him on these]).

All of these treats i think are giving him the runs...so what treats would you advise, now that i've got his main food sorted?
I'm guessing it is because of the high wheat content in the treats.

Thank you! Paul
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 09:51 AM
try liver slowly cooked cut up to little treat sizes, it goes a long way and is quite cheap too and all natural, Samson loves it, also chicken but a bit pricier, for ease i use harringtons training treats but he is a bit choosier about coming back for packet treats and prefers meat.
muckeroja
New Member!
Male 

24-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Thank you Zoey, i trained Bryson using "Liver cakes" = liver (blended) with flour and egg with garlic salt, and baked on a baking tray...that was what our trainer advised and it was great certainly got him motivated.

But i'm looking for a treat to distract him for a wee while...so he has to chew on it a while or hard enough to squeese inside a rubber toy.

We have an 8week old baby and it is usful to keep him "not too interested" in her.
Thank you! Paul
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2012, 10:48 AM
I had a dog who was allergic to colourings. Even those tiny amounts in the treats. I switched her to Burns, which has no artificial additives (although it does contain beets and grains which I don`t like) and used liver and cheese for treats. She was fine on that.
I now raw feed because I still don`t like all the fillers and additives in processed food.
juliet42
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I use the Wainwrights Light 30% less fat Joint Care Salmon and Potato biscuits from Pets at Home for our two, (just the right size), and they are hypoallergenic too!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >