Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2009, 06:35 PM

What book are you reading right now?

I've just stared a new Minette Walters book. I really like her way of writing and the themes are really interesting.

The one I'm reading is called The Dark Room and is about a woman who has amnesia and can't remember trying to kill herself after her fiance left her for her best friend. Something sinister is hidden and she has to try and remember what happened. It's very good so far, but like all books you never can tell til the end whether it's a really good read or not!

I love crime/spy/murder thrillers but not if they have too much blood and guts as that scares me too much . I especially like books that are set in the UK as I find them much more easy to relate to and imagine.

I love finding books at charity shops or second hand places as it means I can't be specific in what I'm looking for and find myself reading books by people I've never heard of.

So, what are you reading and what kind of books do you like and would recommend?
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I've been re-reading the Rabbit books, John Updike. I'm just starting 'Rabbit at Rest'. Really enjoying reading them one after the other.
Before that I read 'The Inheritance of Loss' Kiran Desai. I enjoyed it too, but maybe not as good as some of the reviews suggest.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Just finished Michael Connelly - The Brass Verdict.

I love crime/thrillers too and that one was really good. I love finding a new author and reading everything they have written
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
I've been re-reading the Rabbit books, John Updike. I'm just starting 'Rabbit at Rest'. Really enjoying reading them one after the other.
Before that I read 'The Inheritance of Loss' Kiran Desai. I enjoyed it too, but maybe not as good as some of the reviews suggest.
What are these books about, I've never heard of these authors?
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Just finished Michael Connelly - The Brass Verdict.

I love crime/thrillers too and that one was really good. I love finding a new author and reading everything they have written
I've never read a Michael Connelly but is an author I've seen at our library. Will be checking him out next time!

I've been reading the Roy Grace series by Peter James (I think) and have really enjoyed that. They don't make you use your brain much but are entertaining and good for last thing at night when you want something non taxing but good to read.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
What are these books about, I've never heard of these authors?
John Updike is an American writer. He's written alot of books and some poetry as well. The Rabbit novels have been written over a number of years. Rabbit is the nick name of the main character who appears in each. In the first book its the era of Vietnam and Rabbit is young. He's just married and feeling trapped. In later books he's older and you see how his life progresses against the changing background of American society.
Kiran Desai won the booker in 2006 with 'The Inheritance of Loss' She was born in India but now lives in USA.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 07:07 PM
I am reading a sci/fi fantasy book. It is the second in a trilogy by Terry Brooks.the trilogy is called the children of Shannara.It is set in a post apocalyptic world where a chosen one has to lead the remnants of humankind and elves into salvation. It is a prequel to his Shannara series. Very good reading and interesting plotline.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Upstairs A Traveller in Time by Alison Uttley
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traveller-Ti.../dp/190325227X

Downstairs Thunderhead by Mary O'Hara sequel to My Friend Flicka.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 08:42 PM
"The Business" by Martina Cole. Sadly, one of her worst......
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi
Just finished, Chasing Windmills, by Catherine Ryan Hyde ( she also wrote Pay it Forward)
Really enjoyed it, about a chance meeting between two people on a subway, and how it changed their lives.

I have also recently finished, One Finde Day in the middle of the night, by Christopher Brookmyre, for our book group and it was great, very funny, a bit violent but funny too!!

I like lots of different books, I read ones I wouldnt normally choose for Book group, but I like chick lit too as I enjoy reading that of an evening instead of watching TV.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »