Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 10:47 PM

Breeder wannabe or not?

Some time's breeder's get alot of stick for the sake of being just breeder's, how many of you out there breed, or want to breed or just think no leave it to the professional's or think come on everyone start's somewhere? And what do you think of some breeder's turning there back's on newbie's. your'e answere's please and reason's why if you want to breed and if you don't want to.

Please don't turn this into a puppy farmer or back yardie row.xxzbxx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I'd like to breed Weims in the future as i'd like to start my own lines and progress them. Maddy was bought with intentions of breeding her if she came up to scratch, turns out it wasn't worth risking it with her temperament although a few people did say i was being too over cautious and to breed her anyway! And this was coming from some top breeders! (Not naming any names though )

Anyway the descion I made was to have her spayed and I feel it was the right choice. I found out at a later date that her mother is also fear aggressive although not as bad as Maddy, it was very cleverly disguised on the occasions I met her. So very likely hereditory but I don't want to go into a rant.

Anyway circumstances have changed since (split up with my ex and moved back home e.t.c) so it will probably be a fair while 'til i'm back in a position where I can think about it again. And then it depends on the bitch again and how she turns out of course!

So yes I have been put off for a while but not due to 'getting stick', but more personal circumstances.

ETA: My next 2 dogs will be a Rottie and another Weim but both will be boys (and a couple of years apart at least). I may consider putting the Weim to stud and taking a bitch from his litter as my foundation bitch but it would totally depend on how he turns out and does in the ring and how his hips and everything turn out first and also if I still have Maddy and if she would accept a new bitch or not as at the moment a new bitch would not be an option and obviously Maddy comes first. She may mellow as she gets older but then again she might not so that has to be taken into consideration too. So no definites as of yet but some possibilities. I like to plan ahead with things like this anyway as it takes a lot of hard work to get it right, imo.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:12 PM
I breed the occasional litter when i want a pup for myself ,
I wouldnt turn my back on anyone who had the desire to become a breeder provided they were doing it for the right reasons , ie to further there breed or to have a puppy for themselves ,Imo if all established responsible breeders turned there back on up and coming breeders ,It would lead to more byb, and unexperienced un knowledgeable people breeding for all the wrong reasons , thus being that there dogs would not under go health tests etc ,
I did all the relevant health tests on my bitches before even considering breeding ,And made sure i found the approperate studs with all health checks done ,And i had a lot of help and support from another well established breeder and my vet threw out every stage ,. xxdk
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Breeding dogs is something that's never really appealed to me. Having said that - If I was looking for a puppy of a particular breed and I owned a 'suitable' pairing then I'd perhaps consider it.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:36 PM
as you said everyone needs to start somewhere, as long as they had a good reason, the dog was of good standard and had all major health tests etc along with the stud, then why not? as long as its all done properly and not 2 litters a year from the same dog!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Tricky question for me as two of my dogs have been done,which only leaves Asta.She's way too young to make decisions like that at the moment.Depends on how good a dog she is and I'd have to get all the relevant health tests done too.Who knows I may, I may not.

I can't stand snobbishness in breeders,you know the type who think they are the be all and end all.They also are quick to slate people who are new to it all instead of helping people.If I were to decide to breed from a great dog I'd want the best advice I could get but most wont let you in,if you catch my drift.xxxxxxx
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Maybe, one day in the future when the kids have left home, but to be honest there are better, more experienced people than me who breed, so until I think I have enough experience in a certain breed I would not breed. Three breeds that are close to my heart, Border collies, Jack Russells and German Shepherds have lots of fantastic breeders already, so I don't think I would be able to help further a breed.

Good breeders need passion for their breed, and it comes through in their dogs that they breed. I adore Goldies, and Meg's breeder was slightly disappointed when we had her spayed, as she is really pleased with how she has turned out. But, there are much better qualified people out there.

So maybe, with the right breed, time, location, dogs then one day perhaps
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 12:07 AM
I have only bred 1 litter which was back in 2000 and I'm hoping to produce my second this year though from a different breed and this is so I can have a pup to go on with as was the last litter and I only use dogs clear of all health tests done, but I don't believe in turning my back on newbies as we were all new to this at some stage.
Yes you are going to come across some fools at wont be willing to help someone new and in some cases puts people completely off from showing and this is wrong.
We should in courage everyone that wants to try our sport!
I know when I had new people start showing Mals, I introduced myself and ask if they had any question, which they did on grooming and handling so I took the time to show them how to groom, how to stack and told the ring steward that this was their first time in the ring so they could help as well,
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2008, 09:26 AM
I think a lot of the 'newbies' whom breeders turn their backs on are the type who think "I have a bitch - therefore I want to breed from it". There's so much more to it than that as we all know!

As a case in point - two fairly new people in a breed - one has a bitch who is an import who is ... well... how do I put this... not so good... and the other person has a decent honest bitch who's done a bit of winning in the ring. The ones with the import are breeding from her "because they haven't gone to all the trouble of importing her for nothing you know!" and the second person is saying "if my bitch is good enough, passes her health test, wins well in the ring, etc then I MIGHT consider having a litter from her". Which one gets the support from knowledgable breeders?

Over the years I've tried to help out as many people as I can. I've been honest with people when asked questions such as "do you think my dog is good enough to breed from?". Many times I've said 'yes' but as soon as you say "well if she was mine I'd give breeding a miss" then you become a 'breeder who won't let you in and wants to do all the breeding themselves'. You can't win in a situation like that.

Debs
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 10:17 AM
I still haven't made my mind up - sometimes I think would love to if I felt I could better the breed but certainly won't take it lightly and I am a long way off - so much to learn about the breed still and plus don't have a bitch or room for one either at the mo!

Whilst I think people should support new breeders - they should also be honest with them too if a dog isn't good enough to breed from and just using a top stud dog won't better the breed!

I do feel that stud dog owners have a responsibility in whom they use there dog on just as much as those who have a bitch they want to breed from - if that makes sense?

Too often people don't take a good look at what they are breeding from - who they are matching their dog too etc. and looking hard at all the litter not just the 'pick'. Only looking at the positives. We have some issues right now which if things continue will be difficult to eliminate.

I certainly don't think breeding is something to be taken lightly at all - if I do it won't be for many many years when I can hold my head up and know I have learnt all I can about the breed in general and know that I am bettering the breed for the future.

Hope I haven't ranted too much!
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »