Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I have just read somewhere for 'healthy mental activity' that dogs need numerous hours sleep so shouldn't be woken, elsewhere that dogs can't differenciate between dreams and reality (surely that can't be true....?).

It is only if I think it is a bad dream that I wake them.......
I did wonder about that to yesterday, its funny this thread came up, I gave kaos's dreaming a good bit of thought yesterday,

I guess for those poor doggys that dont get much walking a good old dream is as good as it gets,
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 09:14 PM
True ref dogs that aren't walked enough, sad though. You know, I always say that really my dogs live for going on their walks, if you know what I mean. That is their dog time, doing what comes the most natural to them. We are lucky, where we walk they are always off lead and they have each other to practice hunting techniques etc with, I do know of dogs that aren't walked often and I do feel sorry for them but then you have the question, do they know any better???? Of course it isn't right, but do they miss something they have never really had?
frogdog
New Member!
Female 

11-05-2009, 02:28 AM
i dont wake my puppy up anymore while she is sleeping...i heard that when she is in a deep sleep like that, its releasing growth horomones...sooo i just let her be...plus she is really cute..and funny...she is only 12 weeks..i can only imagine what her little mind in doing in her dreams..
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
I've read that dogs that aren't exercised/stimulated enough have more dreams than dogs who have lots of exercise.

Bryan occaisionally has a dream where he does little high pitched woofs, but I don't wake him up.
JoanneR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2009, 07:59 PM
My dog has NEVER chased rabbits (although plenty have crossed his path on walks) but he has very active dreams at home (whining, running in his sleep, muffled barking, twitches, etc).

I am so sad that I kept a record of what he was doing in his dreams and correlated that with what I knew he had done whilst awake.

He has a long (2 hour walk/run) in the morning and another 1 hour walk in the evening.

He has a favourite toy (ball on a string) which I throw for him. He chases it, finds it and runs off with it. Then he drops it on the path where he knows I will find it, runs off and hides in the undergrowth or bushes.

I then happen across this 'ball on a string' on the path and have to pretend I can't see him (under a bush or tree despite him peeping out and looking at me). I then have to make a great pretence of not being able to locate my dog and throwing the toy any old direction, at which point he comes darting out of the bushes to catch it. (as if I didn't know).

Anyway, when he's asleep at home and he starts dreaming, I can track this sequence of events in his dreams! He 'runs' whlist asleep on the sofa, then he relaxes and whimpers, then shortly afterwards he stretches out and 'runs' full pelt and his jaw starts flapping when he's 'caught' the ball in his dream.

I am certain he's reliving his days events when I observe these doggy dreams.

Chasing rabbits is a good description but, since my dog has NEVER chased rabbits, I'm inclined to think he's just reliving his day when he dreams.

I might add, he dreams EVERY time he has a snooze and he's a noisy boy.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Awwww bless him. Love the games 'pretending' bit you two do xxxxx
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Occassionally Patches has strange crying moments in his sleep - i would never deliberately wake him up but if i am near i often just gently stroke him which seems to soothe him. Our Wolfhound on the other hand sometime snores like a bear but i have never noticed him "dreaming" per se.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3